No announcement yet.

Will this output transformer work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes a bridge rectifier. I'm not sure about 0v reference. Though I'm only using the positive DC side of rectifier

Comment

I kinda figured this PT wouldn't do what I needed. Guess I'll need a new PT. The wife won't be happy, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
        Ok then. I'm finding the JTM60 schematic frightfully hard to interpret. Maybe someone else can make more sense of it.
        Nobody can.

That's not a real "schematic" but the printout of the .SCH file used to plot the PCB, so everything going to something which is not physically inside the PCB ends in a connector or at best a wire pad.

At least they label connectors with meaningful names , such as "htr", "HV", etc.

SWR just names them as "Pin1/2/3/4/"etc. and you must be a heck of a Tech to guess: "oh, this capacitor connected to this cathode might be boost/drive/bright/you-name-it

EDIT: no, no a *Tech* but a Psychic; a Tech will still need to see the proper Schematic.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

The main filter caps in the JTM60 are 550V. In other threads, B+ is reported around 485V.
          If you only get 300V B+, either the transformer or your circuit is defective.
          Originally posted by Enzo
          I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

So I looked over the jtm schematic. Is that a jumper on the primary?

Comment

Well I disabled the rectifier and got 385vac at the secondary

Comment

Unsolder the secondary and measure what you have at the PT, i.e. measure Vac before the rectifier.
                In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by TarheelTechinTraining View Post
                  Well I disabled the rectifier and got 385vac at the secondary
                  Then your circuit is wonky. You should see well over 500 V after the rectifier. Estimate like this: Vdc = sqrt(2)*Vac
                  Last edited by überfuzz; 03-22-2015, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Right .... Could the lack of an earth on the secondary side cause problems?
                    I know your math is right just frustrated

Comment

Lack of ground? I'm not sure I follow you...

Try connecting the rectifier again, but this time unsolder it from the rest of the circuit. You should see something like B+ = 550 Vdc at the rectifier. This is just to rule out anything fishy happening in the rectifier. When you do this step, take the time to check the rectifier very closely. Like... even under board.

If you don't fine anything at this stage, connect the power stage and measure the B+ again. Proceed and connect one stage at the time. By doing this you should be able to pin point where the B+ is drained.

Comment

I think he's just testing the transformer on a bench, not in an amp.
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

TTT, your filament voltage looks right-"ish" so I think you have the primary hooked up correctly.

385 measured with no rectifier hooked up seems about right. That amp uses a bridge rectifier so you can expect about 1.4x that voltage minus any loading from current as your plate voltage. Previously reported as 480-ish for a jtm60 it looks to me like everything is alright. There may have been an error in how you were implementing the rectifier for the initial tests. And, so, using that PT you can expect about 480Vp!!! No small feat for new production tubes I'll warn. A customer of mine is using a pair of Ruby EL34's (B's?) at that voltage and the amp is doing well with occasional trips into square wave clipping and semi regular gigs.
                          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

380vac at the secondary before rectifier.
                            And yes Chuck its on the bench.
                            Last edited by TarheelTechinTraining; 03-23-2015, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Got any preferences when it comes to power tubes? Your tranny will be just fine! A pair of 6L6 or maybe a pair of EL34.

Comment

I have a pair of E34Ls. So I'm gonna go with those. If they don't sound/feel like what I'm after I'll try 6l6s.

Comment

Working...
                                X