Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fred Stewart winding video. Interesting magnet loader.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Stewart winding video. Interesting magnet loader.

This is a slow video and Fred takes his time getting around to what he has to say. Quality is good though you don't always get to see the action up close.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN8faik-B3o#t=770
    His scatter-wind technique is scattered to say the least.
    His magnet loader (2:56) is very sophisticated but I don't think it actually saves him much time.

My Grandfather had that very same alnico horseshoe magnetizer from his Bell Labs days. It was in my garage growing up and I got plenty of blood blisters messing with it. Sure wish it hadn't gone to the dump when my parents moved.

Originally posted by David King View Post
    His magnet loader (2:56) is very sophisticated but I don't think it actually saves him much time.
    He must have great ventilation in his shop as I know what it's like in mine when I take the top off the lacquer tin!

Definitely his would be a little faster than the jig I use in my one ton arbor press. I found that the jig and press gave me a firmer and truer magnet installation compared to when I was trying to pound the Alinico's in with a brass headed fret hammer using a couple of spacers and an elastic band. I used to have them bend left and right on the way into being seated in to the bottom flatwork sometimes. Never quite got the hang of the hammer technique. I am definitely a fan of bobbin jigs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bobbin_jig.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	837156
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Comment

stewarts a good guy, met him a few times. Funny how different methods yield similar results. His bobbin assembling jig is similar to what I designed but mine has a few less parts to deal with. I use locating pins like that but the main bit of the jig is bolted to a foot press so you never have to handle it and it presses all 6 magnets in at a time. It takes extra time to set the foot press for each bobbin design but if you run 20 or 50 at a time the set up time is minimized per piece and they come out perfect every time.

Comment

My problem with the magnet insertion jigs is that I do so many different spacings and bobbin types and I don't do any production to speak of. I use my arbor press and line them up one at a time. They always go in straight that way and I have very little interference fit so I can almost press them in by hand. Once they are in then I have a press jig to stagger them correctly. That only takes a few seconds.

Comment

agreed- totally un-necessary unless you are building craploads of the same item then its useful for speed and consistancy.

Comment

Id still love to see a few of these produced by a parts manufacturer as well as a cutting die for p90, strat and tele style flatwork. I think the one Stewart uses is great any chance on showing us the one you use Jason? Thanks, Jason J

Comment

There is one place that sells magnet loading jigs but they're close to a grand a piece.

L'arrivee use a pretty swift looking jig set up with hardwood. Cheap and effective?

https://youtu.be/0p9uXR7UanE

Comment

Good video, thanks for posting.
                I was drawn in, as always, by the magnetizer ... of which he does not show much ..... but so be it, every little bit counts.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                X