something in the 25-40 watt range?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• something in the 25-40 watt range?

hi guys, I'm thinking I want to build a tube head in the 25-40 W range to power the psudo Leslie I built. I kinda like the Tweed sound & have looked at some kits but not quite up to the wattage, and I don't really want 4 inputs. any thoughts

If you're building it, you can put as many or as few inputs as you like in it, so I wouldn't get hung up on that. Are you looking for clean power or something that breaks up easily (a la John Lord)?
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Don't forget the input labeled 'Accordion' ala Ampeg.

Comment

Actually, I recommend playing through that one. It's "one louder" than the guitar. At least on my former Reverberocket 2. But those are some goofy circuits with wacky off the wall tubes. Don't clone that.

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

ok..... tone wise, think something like a Blues Junior thats workin' pretty hard, but a few watts more. not a clean, it got the thickness but not to the point of muddy.

Comment

Maybe a 5F6 Bassman kit, then? Hopefully some of the builders will chime in.

Comment

Any tweed can be compromised for lower power... I was thinking maybe a Super or Pro, but not one of theF series. Maybe D or E.

Justin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

I suggested the F despite the 30-40W request because if the Blues Junior isn't loud enough for the OP, a 50W is probably going to be needed for any substantial/noticeable volume change. Super or Pro would be good, too. There I go assuming again.
                Last edited by The Dude; 03-21-2015, 02:51 AM.

Comment

I just figure the world is saturated w. 5F6As so something a little different. Also reckoning any tweed will wound pretty different from the EL84-based Fenders. Definitely a chewier sound and incredibly "playable," instead of a spitty OD in the Pro/Blues Jr. I find myself gravitating toward the mid-size tweeds, instead of the Champs/Princeton & Bandmasters+…

Justin

Comment

Working...
                  X