First Amp Build - Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Amp Build - Results

Well, it took a lot longer than expected, mostly due to life getting in the way of fun, not the amp itself, but I'm finally done. It's a basic 5C1 Champ, but I did it the hard way. No kits. I made the chassis myself. All the woodwork credit goes to my father, but I did the finishing. Wood is cherry.

Everything went pretty smoothly. If I did another one it might be better, since I learned a lot in the process, but I'm happy with what I ended up with. It sounds like a cool old amp and there's zero hum. Tubes are all industrial, just because I had them: RCA "special red" 5693 for the 6SJ7, NOS Sylvania 7408 for the 6V6, NOS GE 6087 for the 5Y3GT. The speaker is an 8" AlNiCo Weber signature series.

I named it "Octal" to emphasize the difference between the 5C1 and the 5F1 and threw my last name on there to pat myself on the back.

It looks very nice.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Totally professional looking, you should be proud!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
        Totally professional looking, you should be proud!
        Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Comment

Good job, Hoosier.

Comment

Your Dad RULES!!! Is that a poly or nitro finish?
            WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
            REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Originally posted by loudthud View Post
              Your Dad RULES!!! Is that a poly or nitro finish?
              Good ole Formby's Tung Oil. I had originally planned on a satin finish, but got a little carried away. Lost track of how many coats. I just stopped when I didn't think it would get any better.

Comment

You wiped that on with a rag and got that smoothness and sheen with no visible dust ?!? You're yankin' our chain!
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

KILLER job, on ALL counts: chassis, cabinet, finish, panel, layout, wiring, everything.

These pictures belong in some kind of page devoted to extra ordinary craftsmanship, as an example to others.

Congratulations.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                  X