No announcement yet.

Getting a woody sound from a humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually don't offset on the neck pickups.
    I do offset some on the bridge, depending on the guitar.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by GunbarrelCustom View Post
      I notice you do not offset the coils at all.
      Or does he? Does varying tension between coils effectively create an off-set? If the screw coil is 20% under breaking, and the slug coil is 25% under, then the slug coil is getting just a wee bit more wire per turn, since it's not getting snugged down to the bobbin as tightly as the looser-wound screw coil. And if so, the slug should have just a wee bit higher DCR than the screw.

Right?

Whaddayasay, LtKojak?

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Rodgers View Post
        Whaddayasay, LtKojak?
        I don't consider it as an "offset" per se, *I* prefer the articulation of "balanced" coils (meaning same amount of turns), but with different coil geometries.

Maybe is the placebo effect talking...?
        Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
        Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
          I don't consider it as an "offset" per se, *I* prefer the articulation of "balanced" coils (meaning same amount of turns), but with different coil geometries.

Maybe is the placebo effect talking...?
          So who's winding data is it?
          Not familar with the percent of break point lingo, around here.
          Most here use loose, medium, and tight, for tension.
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Since I do not pot humbuckers I tend to use more tension and while I have no absolute way to quantify it I do tend to match the Coil Estimator calculator at the 78%. The set I have in my gold top have offsets around 500 turns to try and get a good clean up with the volume knob. I played Strats for 30 years and I use the knobs quite a bit for different tones and my huge complaint about HBs is they would sound great on 10 and total mud when turned down and the gain wouldn't go down.

Comment

Working...
            X