No announcement yet.

Phase inverter coupling caps placement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase inverter coupling caps placement.

Hi, I bought 2 47n Orange Drops for coupling the PI to the power tubes. I had originally planned to use some 12mm panasonics. When the Orange Drops arrived I was taken aback by their size. I can't fit them in on my board, but I can place them from the board to the terminal on the tube socket using just a rebending of the legs. Because of the weight of the caps I'm a bit worried such a placement is not wise so just looking for some comments on whether to go ahead with the orange drops.

Hi
    You must have care about that, Those type of placement present a big potential risk of oscillation.
    Catalin
    "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

A zillion TVs, radios, amplifiers, radars, and who knows what were all made exactly that way for years before the age of printed circuit boards. Caps and resistors were soldered directly to tube socket pins and terminal strips. That is what is known as point to point wiring.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If you have grid stoppers, oscillation shouldn't be a problem.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

My idea was to take the caps from the turret board to a spare pin, from the spare pin to the grid terminal through the grid stopper.

Comment

nobody can tell you how right it is. you have to mount the caps and use o-scope to see what's going on. you need a lot a expertise for a proper design point-to-point wiring or a lot of luck.
            "If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad. If it measures bad and sounds good, you are measuring the wrong things."

Comment

Originally posted by wozt View Post
              Hi, I bought 2 47n Orange Drops for coupling the PI to the power tubes. I had originally planned to use some 12mm panasonics. When the Orange Drops arrived I was taken aback by their size. I can't fit them in on my board,
              Go with your original plan. It will sound the same.

Comment

I've mounted them for now and should be able to fire up the amp tomorrow. Thanks for your inputs.

Comment

All is well, amp running flat out and there is no adverse effect of the coupling caps being connected to the spare terminal. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave H View Post
                    Go with your original plan. It will sound the same.
                    But the new ones were huge and very orangey, how can they sound the same.

When my mate Dave saw the amp in a cradle first thing he said was "Wow, what the f*** are those beasts".

Comment

Tell your mate that they have to be this big for they pack a lot of snake oil... ;-)
                      In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                      X