power transformer bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power transformer bad?

I apologize for having posted in the wrong place. I'm debugging my first build, a jcm800. My question is should it take a minute or two for the voltage to reach 500 Vdc. This is after rectifier but before stand-by. Going through 100uf capacitor before stanf-by. Thanks for the help, Greg

Originally posted by TarheelTechinTraining View Post
    I'm debugging my first build, a jcm800. My question is should it take a minute or two for the voltage to reach 500 Vdc. This is after rectifier but before stand-by. Going through 100uf capacitor before stanf-by. Thanks for the help, Greg
    Very curious that it would take a minute or two to come up to full voltage, it's usually more or less instant, under a second. You don't have a lightbulb current limiter on the AC line? That or something like it would result in a slow chargeup.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Nope. Just the rectifier and the cap

Comment

Plus when I take it off stand-by the voltage drops unless the 50uf caps are disconnected

Comment

Measuring the AC on the transformer secondary, how long does it take to reach it's max output?
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

382 vac instantly

Comment

Then it can hardly be a bad transformer. Can you show or draw up a quick schematic of how you have the circuit wired?

Comment

Caps in backwards.

Comment

Pretty sure its correct. The schematic I'm using is a 2204 by Marc huss. Only difference between it and mine is stand-by placement. Mine is between cap and fuse. Schematic between transformer and rectifier

Comment

Could switch placement be the answer?

Comment

Possibly a grounding issue? Do the caps and the PT center taps share a ground as shown in the schematic? Also can you verify this is the schematic you are working from?

http://mhuss.com/MyJCM/JCM800_2204.pdf
                      Attached Files

Comment

Yep that's it.

Comment

No the caps and pt don't share a ground

Comment

Are they both grounded?
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
                              Are they both grounded?
                              Yes, that's what I was asking. I meant electrically- not physically. I was surmising that maybe the voltage was 'floating' up because of a missing ground and that's why it took so long to get there.

Comment

Working...
                              X