No announcement yet.

power transformer bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well... Since you already fired it up and it pretty much worked (if this is your first build that's a miracle BTW ) go ahead and leave the preamp and PI tubes in. It'll get us through some readings a little faster. So... With only the power tubes out of the amp read and record AC volts to ground from all tube pins. Post results as:

V1-1-200, V1-2-.04, V1-3-1.8, etc...

Where V1 would be the input tube and V2 the next tube in the signal chain, etc.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Gotcha.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	142766675044597930200.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	837248 herClick image for larger version

Name:	142766675044597930200.jpg
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	837248e are the voltages. No power tubes,no load

Comment

Those look right enough. It occurs to me that with your HV you may have higher than optimal preamp volts for the amp you're building. If you like the tone it's fine. If you think it feels too hard and bright, strident and harsh, peaky and, oh whatever, If the amp needs to be "brown"er you can lower the preamp voltages. Your cathode follower hates you BTW (more on tube selection later ).

With -46 at the grids I'll guess that you're just a little hot for the tubes at your HV. You'll need to increase your bias voltage for the next step. If you still have range take it up to (down to?) -51V at the grids. If you don't have range to -53 change the 4.7k resistor in the bias supply to 3.3k. Do you have a way to measure current? Like a 1 ohm resistor at the cathode ground connection or a bias test socket? If not then what is the smallest value resistor you have? You'll need a way to measure current through the tubes.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

At the grids(5) I have a swing of -41 to -59. Yes I have a 1 ohm resistor at the cathode ground.

Comment

Sweet. Measure the actual value of that cathode resistor for accuracy. Turn all the controls to 0, turn the amp on and Bump the bias to -51. Plug the tubes back in and warm it up for several minutes in play mode (unless it starts red plating again). Measure the plate voltage.
              Now measure the voltage across the power tube cathode resistor. Divide that voltage by the measured cathode resistance. Now multiply that figure with the plate voltage. This is your bias watts. You want about 16 or 17 watts (per tube). If you have more, increase the bias voltage. If you still get red plating with the bias set like this your tubes may not be up to the high Vp.

Comment

Alright Chuck. I've got it biased at 16 watts, 518 Vdc and 31mA. No sign of redplating. What do you think? BTW could you suggest some "brown" sound improvents?

Comment

Originally posted by TarheelTechinTraining View Post
                  What do you think?
                  Great! How does it sound? Loud enough? Noise level? Pops or intermittent static sounds? All controls functioning?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
                    Switching inputs as you describe would not cause power tube red plating.
                    Agree. Possibly there is some ultra-sonic oscillation happening with the low input. Triple check jack wiring and grounding.
                    Originally posted by Enzo
                    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

All controls work, though I didn't try Lo-input. Kinda sterile, decent OD pre dimes master 3/4. No red plating after an hour. On oddity there is a him in speakers w/ sb off power on.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1427845052950-1134360898.jpg
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	837267 here is a drawing of my input. Any advice?

Comment

I don't think it's an input issue assuming that you mean the hum is there when the amp is in standby mode- no B+ to the OT. Is that what you mean and is that your configuration? Is the hum there when the amp is running (out of standby mode) and with the volumes down?

If this is correct and I read you correctly, I'm wondering about your filament supply. Can you draw up how your filament supply is wired? Is there a center tap on the filament windings, virtual ground, etc. ?
                          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Yes you got it. No power to OT, hum in speaker. Power to OT, no hum.The heater is center tapped

Comment

Is the hum from the amp chassis or the speaker?

This may help. Great info from R.G.

http://www.geofex.com/ampdbug/ampdebug.htm

Go through the section "Excessive Hum" and follow the suggestions.
                              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Definitely not the amp, only the speaker. I check it out the read. Thanks so much,Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X