Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Bad Cat Cougar 50 schematic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Bad Cat Cougar 50 schematic!

Just picked up one of these, and it looks like a relatively simple design, but I'm wondering about the power amp and bias adjustments. Any help out there?

These are, of course, the China made low end amps that the previous Badcat owners started up before the company changed hands. They were owned , I believe, by Hanser Music Group out of Kentucky. Supposedly Bill at Hanser knew about them, some are cathode biased, but its possible Mitt Romney's Bain Capital owns the brand now...

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
      These are, of course, the China made low end amps that the previous Badcat owners started up before the company changed hands. They were owned , I believe, by Hanser Music Group out of Kentucky. Supposedly Bill at Hanser knew about them, some are cathode biased, but its possible Mitt Romney's Bain Capital owns the brand now...
      Good thing I didn't pay too much, then. I need to poke around a bit and see what I can do with it.

Comment

its usually easy enough to spot cathode vs fixed bias once you open it up, as one is tied to the PS, should be a good modding platform and they were VERY reasonably priced!

Enjoy it!
        Last edited by tedmich; 03-29-2015, 02:33 AM.

Comment

It looks like the power tubes are elevated by 47 ohms... so there must be some bias voltage on the circuit somewhere...

Comment

this was over at Marshall Forums
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad Cat cougar50.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	837283

big through hole components and single sided boards, sounds like a useful "mod mule" Take care with iron heat as pads will lift if too hot.

Comment

Looks like this one is going back. It's red plating on its inaugural run. I don't feel a new amp out of the box should be doing this.

Comment

Too bad, I'd try another set of PA tubes in it if you have some spares sitting around. QC is often the victim of race to the bottom 3rd world manufacturing experiments like this.

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                  Too bad, I'd try another set of PA tubes in it if you have some spares sitting around. QC is often the victim of race to the bottom 3rd world manufacturing experiments like this.
                  Switched tubes and the same socket was causing red plating. It just went back today. I'll put those duckets in another bucket.

Comment

Working...
                  X