My humble winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My humble winder

Just finished up half of a Wal bass-type pickup tonight using my newly assembled, humble little winder:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150403_21_56_44_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	869434

Name:	WP_20150403_21_57_17_Pro.jpg
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	869435

Name:	WP_20150403_21_57_03_Pro.jpg
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	869436

Needs some tidying up with the wires and such, but so far, so good...

Thanks again to Bruce Johnson for the faceplates!

Where did you find that cast iron tower that holds the bearings? Very cool and nice symmetry.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
      Where did you find that cast iron tower that holds the bearings? Very cool and nice symmetry.
      I found that on eBay... did a search for vintage benchtop grinders. I think it's from the 50s or 60s. I replaced the original shaft with one I bought from McMaster-Carr.

Comment

Dude, that's cool as hell! I have one of those little arbor tower things that I got at a yard sale years ago, but have never figured out what to use it for. And your felt tensioner is just like mine: I dig.

(Hey, David, got anything to swap for my arbor tower thingy?)

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Rodgers View Post
          Dude, that's cool as hell! I have one of those little arbor tower things that I got at a yard sale years ago, but have never figured out what to use it for. And your felt tensioner is just like mine: I dig.

(Hey, David, got anything to swap for my arbor tower thingy?)

Oh yeah! Sorry I didn't give you thanks in the OP. Quite the clever idea, Jason... I had to steal it.

Comment

Then you're an accomplice to the theft of someone else's idea, 'cause I'm robbing folks blind left and right!

Comment

Nice!
              With the winder at the back, and the tensioner on the front?
              Trying to visulize where you rest your hand when guiding the wire?
              In the middle somewhere, or do you do that with the tensioner?
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

As well as the tensioner-to-guide setup works on my winder, that's exactly the challenge I'm experiencing. It only takes a light touch with the fingertips, but you get fatigued quickly if you don't have a rest. I'm scheming some sort of traverser that can be manually operated with a simple lever or dial that takes my hands off the wire.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                  Nice!
                  With the winder at the back, and the tensioner on the front?
                  Trying to visulize where you rest your hand when guiding the wire?
                  In the middle somewhere, or do you do that with the tensioner?
                  T

Yeah, for now I kinda just have to rest in the middle somewhere. The plan is to get some sort of traverse hooked up. I can either go simple and do something like Jason's thinking of, or I might even hook up a stepper with a threaded nylon piece and rest the wire in the threads. Should be able to set the start and stop positions and the speed, and be good to go... just have it go back and forth between those two points.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Turner View Post
                    Yeah, for now I kinda just have to rest in the middle somewhere. The plan is to get some sort of traverse hooked up. I can either go simple and do something like Jason's thinking of, or I might even hook up a stepper with a threaded nylon piece and rest the wire in the threads. Should be able to set the start and stop positions and the speed, and be good to go... just have it go back and forth between those two points.
                    That makes sense!
                    I strictly hand wind, and I want the guide stop bar to be right on the edge of my desk.
                    I rest my hand on my arm rest of my chair which I make as low as possible.
                    Putting my hand over in the middle at my age, wouldn't work, or hold up for long.
                    Nice clean looking winder.
                    GL,
                    T
                    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                    Terry

Comment

Very cool!!! has any one thought of a manually controlled winder with a foot pedal as a driver? I'm very curious about this, as I want to complete a contraption like this

Comment

Originally posted by spichael View Post
                        Very cool!!! has any one thought of a manually controlled winder with a foot pedal as a driver? I'm very curious about this, as I want to complete a contraption like this
                        You mean like converting a treadle sewing machine? I'm sure it could be done. Any system will require practice to get good results, though.

Comment

How about something like this?

Name:	IMG_1421.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	837348
                          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

You could watch this 1/2 hour video about pedal powered machinery of all kinds for inspiration. All early lathes were human powered and lathes go back to the invention of the wheel.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzqJS_EJV94
                            It's a bit didactic but you'll get the idea in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by spichael View Post
                              I've thought about it, but then quickly dismissed the idea once I remembered I had electricity.

Comment

Working...
                              X