Viking tube radio to guitar amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viking tube radio to guitar amp

just picked up an old radio with tubes, jut getting into this stuff pedals are more my area of knowledge. Is it possible to re-route the input to a jack and have it output.
    Here are a few photos of the dusty beast. Couldn't find a schematic for this model either.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0647.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	869439
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0648_2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	869438

Short & sweat answer: No.

Comment

Furthermore it would be dangerous to try, being that this is a transformer-less model

Comment

Hot chassis AKA "widow maker." An enormous shock/fire hazard.

To make it safe you would have to power it from an isolation transformer. Most people don't want to go the expense and bother. I don't blame them.
        This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
          Hot chassis AKA "widow maker." An enormous shock/fire hazard.

To make it safe you would have to power it from an isolation transformer. Most people don't want to go the expense and bother. I don't blame them.
          Haha fair enough thanks for the info, I'm gonna salvage some parts and put a cheap 15w amp inside of it instead the case is pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan-Nic View Post
            Haha fair enough thanks for the info, I'm gonna salvage some parts and put a cheap 15w amp inside of it instead the case is pretty neat.
            Sounds like a good plan!

It looks to be from around the mid-30's to early 40's though if my guess is on target (saw 1933 on one of the caps, and the phenolic? rings around the tube sockets seems another tell-tale).

Might try googling "antique radio forums" if you're curious about the history. Someone out there might have some info for you.

If nothing else, it'd make for great conversation about the history of your new guitar amp chassis!
            Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

There's a few things you can do with the antique cabinets.
              This guy converts them into bluetooth speakers and sells them for good money:
              https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/daffdesign
              Products

Here's instructions for making them into ipod docks:
              Turn a vintage radio into an iPod dock

Or if you have a working radio, but just want to be able to connect to an ipod etc., here's an adapter you can make:
              iPod Adapter for Vintage Radios
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
              X