Amplifier Art Work Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amplifier Art Work Techniques

So I want to simply put labels on the controls of my amp build.
    I have a good drawing program and I can draw almost anything I want. And print it with an Inkjet printer.
    Professionals use silk screening but that is pretty much beyond my ability.

I recently discovered that several companies sell "waterslide decal paper" that will allow me to print anything I want and transfer it to the front and rear panel of my amp chassis. (with some manipulation)

Has anyone used this technique? Any potential pitfalls?
    Any alternatives?

Modelers have used it for years. However you would want to coat it with something, decals won't hold up to much abuse.

A technique some amps used and we also used in the video arcade game industry was to make up any panel art, then put a clear plexi cover over it to protect it.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

So... after the decal is applied I could spray paint a layer or two of polyurethane clear coat over it?

The decal application instructions say to spray the printed paper with an acrylic clear coat which then becomes the film that carries the decal to be transferred. Should I use more acrylic or is that layer compatible with polyurethane which I have used enough to know that it is pretty tough.

I would prefer to not have to fashion a plexiglass cover. In fact my desire is to put the decals on a brass panel that is fastened under the volume controls and switches.

Comment

Experience is a great teacher. Make some decals, put them on a surface, and after they are completely dry, test them for how well they withstand fingers and fingernails. Then you will know more about it than I do.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If the brass panel is removable you can take it to an engraver.

Comment

Working...
          X