Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vox AD60VT - I volunteered to help friend fix amp and am now stuck with just hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had many repairs that consisted of just re-flowing cracked solder joints (especially Fender stuff). Once had a customer complain about paying $60 (1 hour minimum bench fee) just for re-soldering some connections. Besides the time to dis-assemble/re-assemble, I pointed out that he wasn't paying so much for the solder work as for the knowledge of finding and properly fixing the problem. Soldering is easy....doing it correctly and in the right places is the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Zipslack View Post
      Once had a customer complain about paying $60 (1 hour minimum bench fee) just for re-soldering some connections. Besides the time to dis-assemble/re-assemble, I pointed out that he wasn't paying so much for the solder work as for the knowledge of finding and properly fixing the problem. Soldering is easy....doing it correctly and in the right places is the trick.
      One of our correspondents has the byline: "That's $1 for the chalk mark, and $49,999 for knowing where to put it."

Applies to amp repair as well as surgeons, riggers, surveyors, etc.

Hope this doesn't encourage amp owners with problems to rip apart their broken prizes in an effort to save some labor cost.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Zipslack View Post
        I've had many repairs that consisted of just re-flowing cracked solder joints (especially Fender stuff). Once had a customer complain about paying $60 (1 hour minimum bench fee) just for re-soldering some connections. Besides the time to dis-assemble/re-assemble, I pointed out that he wasn't paying so much for the solder work as for the knowledge of finding and properly fixing the problem. Soldering is easy....doing it correctly and in the right places is the trick.
        When this happens, my response is, "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know you were going to fix this yourself. Why did you bring it to me?" They step in it every time.

Comment

Originally posted by patlaw View Post
          When this happens, my response is, "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know you were going to fix this yourself. Why did you bring it to me?" They step in it every time.
          Or "Give me 30 minutes to undo everything...."

Comment

Hello all; My first post ! : Just acquired a Vox AD60VT first generation (blue cloth ) On the pedals switch selection ,left side of controls amp, when i use the DRIVE potentiometer it is acting strange : lets say for simple : select Fuzz pedal , Level control full CW :If the Drive pot is not near full CW there is no pedal effect, only plain sound without effect; If I turn the Drive full CW the effect (fuzz for example ) comes on only when the pot is almost at full CW ;like almost an on-off situation .. Maybe a dirty potentiometer but I wonder ...I am not sure the pot will act like this if it was in need of cleaning, but maybe .. This is independant of LEVEL control which is fine . Anyone did recall a problem like this ? Thanks for your help . J-Marc

Comment

Welcome to the place! I suggest you start a new thread for your amp. This thread is from 2015.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
              X