Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

65 Epiphone Zephyr amp would be the same as Gibson what??? Reverb problems, help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 Epiphone Zephyr amp would be the same as Gibson what??? Reverb problems, help

I have 65 Zephyr amp RVT all tube pp 6v6 , 4-6eu7 & 1-12au7....The reverb is not working. I'm trying to find out what reverb pan it takes? Are these high impedance pans? Like a Traynor? The way they layer ceramic caps under the resistors on a tiny tag board is a challenge to work on. Not fun like a fender....

I've got the older Zephyr EA-15RV (no tremolo), don't recall the pan number. Have you downloaded the Gibson master service manual? (#229 on the list here Gibson Schematics - Tube amp Schematics ) That will let you peruse the schematics faster to pick out a Gibson equivalent amp.

Fortunately mine was much easier to restore, being a simple eyelet board.

Comment

Posting for reference:

http://www.ampwares.com/schematics/e...rvt-zephyr.pdf

Have you verified the tank is bad- checked the input and outputs for open transducers, etc.?
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Don.... take a look at the Gibson GA-19 RVT (Falcon) amp. Is that a similar amp? Looks like you have schematics from the others here.
        Last edited by TomCarlos; 04-21-2015, 04:31 AM.
        It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by 1ampman View Post
          I have 65 Zephyr amp RVT all tube pp 6v6 , 4-6eu7 & 1-12au7....The reverb is not working. I'm trying to find out what reverb pan it takes? Are these high impedance pans? Like a Traynor?
          The general rule of thumb is to look at the way that the tank is driven. If the input of the pan is connected to a small transformer, then a Fender type pan will work. If the drive comes from a cap connected to the plate of the driver tube, then a type C pan is needed.

Depending upon the model and year Gibson used both types of pans.

Comment

If you can find the equivalent Gibson model, this list may help. It's not perfect, but generally useful.
            Attached Files
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Thankyou everyone for the help....Fixed.... This amp has a dual foot sw. that's attached directly to the amp circuit chassis. It was damaged and shorting out. Cut the bad part off and we're in like Flin. Had to add on a couple beers to the bill. It drove me nuts....

Comment

Working...
              X