Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polepiece for Supro string-through pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polepiece for Supro string-through pickup?

I recently bought a Supro lap steel on eBay; the description said "works, but needs strings and a knob". So, as soon as I got it, I plugged it in, and it did make some sound. It only had the 3 lowest strings on it, and the 5th string was not as loud as the 4th and 6th string. I was going to adjust the polepiece under the 5th string closer to the string, but then I found that one side of the slot was broken off (and that was probably because the polepieces are stuck in the pickup plate and someone tried to force it). So, I called Lollar Pickups to see if the had any polepieces that would fit (since Lollar makes a clone of that pickup); the guy that answered the phone put me on hold went and asked somebody. He came back and said "we don't sell those; maybe you should try a specialty screw shop". So I asked " could you ask somebody exactly what metal those polepieces are made of, because a diferent metal might have different magnetic properties". He put me on hold again, and when he came back he said "It doesn't matter, they're not magnetic". I'm not sure that's true; is it? In any case' I'd prefer to get the same type of polepiece or something similar. Does any one know where I could find something like that?
    Another possible solution would be to get some penetrating oil, unstick all the polepieces, and file a new slot into the tops of the broken polepieces (the polepiece under the 4th string is broken too) ; is this solution feasible?

Hi bluzmn:
    Not that many lap steel pickups worked on here.
    I've rewound a few.
    Could you show us a picture of what you have, and what you are trying to do?
    Maybe there is an easy possible solution?
    Thanks,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

It's difficult to get clear closeup pictures on my little camera, but I'll try. Basically I'm trying to adjust the height of a polepiece screw, and there is no way to turn it because half of the head, one of the sides of the slot, is broken off,so there is no way to get the leverage necessary turn it

Comment

Roger on the broken head of the pole piece screw.
        If you take the pickup out, or loose from the lap steel?
        Maybe there is enough screw on the bottom you could get a hold of.
        If so may be turn it enough that you can get pliers on the top.
        I would think the pole screws would be magnetic.
        Once out you can check to see if it attracts to a magnet.
        On most cameras there is a macro mode, which is indicated by a small flower.
        https://www.google.com/search?q=macr...w=1252&bih=543
        T
        ** Anyone else got any ideas?
        Please jump in!
        Last edited by big_teee; 04-25-2015, 07:57 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by bluzmn View Post
          It's difficult to get clear closeup pictures on my little camera, but I'll try. Basically I'm trying to adjust the height of a polepiece screw, and there is no way to turn it because half of the head, one of the sides of the slot, is broken off,so there is no way to get the leverage necessary turn it
          Take the pictures outside on an overcast day. Little cameras need lots of light, but direct sunlight causes confusing shadows.

Comment

I believe this are a 6/32 by 5/8 steel. Just a slotted set screw which are difficult to find in that size. Hex are easy to find and will work.
            Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Magnut View Post
              I believe this are a 6/32 by 5/8 steel. Just a slotted set screw which are difficult to find in that size. Hex are easy to find and will work.
              6-32 x 1/2 Steel Slotted Headless Set Screw, Pkg 20 - Set Screws - Screws - PRODUCTS

I didn't see any 5/8" long with slot (versus hex socket). Perhaps a Fillister-head screw would suffice.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the pole screws are smaller than 6-32 but definitely SAE so they should be easy to replicate.
                Whatever the size, find the proper thread screws, cut to length then use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut a slot in the center. Round off the top of screw on a grinding wheel if you want it to match the originals.

I doubt Supro used anything special. Probably grade 5 or 8 machine screws.

Heres a pic of an early 50's Supro pickup that i refurbished.
                Good luck.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3269.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	964.9 KB
ID:	837494

Comment

Originally posted by Stratz View Post
                  I'm pretty sure the pole screws are smaller than 6-32 but definitely SAE so they should be easy to replicate.
                  Heres a pic of an early 50's Supro pickup that i refurbished.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33791[/ATTACH]
                  They look like ordinary machine-made slotted headless steel set screws.

Magnut: Can you verify by measurement that the screw is 6-32 versus 8-32 or 10-32?

Comment

I figure he's done something and moved on.
                    I think the big problem was getting the old one out.
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                      They look like ordinary machine-made slotted headless steel set screws.

Magnut: Can you verify by measurement that the screw is 6-32 versus 8-32 or 10-32?
                      They may be 6-32 Joe, but no larger.
                      I dont have a pickup here ATM but I found this pic from a repair I did on a '53 and the screws are almost as large as the holes in the bobbin.
                      Should be an easy fix either way.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3284.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	997.7 KB
ID:	837497

Comment

its a 6-32 for sure, if they are rusted in you have to drill them out and clean the threads with a tap. you can use an allen head set screw of buy a piece of all thread, cut it to length and file a slot in the end. Now if you still get a string that is weak- usually a middle string, one of the magnets is upside down- they need to be both south up or north up. On the student models sometimes used only one magnet - one was a wood block painted silver to look like a magnet- doesnt work very good. I was gone when you called and am the only one that really knows the details on that pickup.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. After hours of struggle and lots of squirts of PB Blaster, I was able to loosen up all of the pole pieces and remove and replace the 2 broken ones. It turns out that they are 6/32 x 1/2, so I'm going to order some from the place Joe Gwinn found (thanks); in the meantime, I got 2 hex top ones from Home Depot. Now, the 4th and 5th strings (the ones with the new pole pieces) are not as loud as the other strings; the 6th string is very loud, and so is the 1st string,and the 2nd and 3rd are just a little less. In order to get a balanced sound, I have had to screw down the 1st, 2nd and 6th string pole pieces level with the top of the pickup; the 3rd string is a little higher. The 4th and 5th string pole pieces have to be so high that if I press too hard playing high up on the neck, the strings touch them. And the 6th string is still louder! Oh, and to eliminate one possible cause of the problem, this is one of the Supros that has only one magnet and a wood block on the other side. Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem is?

Comment

Could be the alloy of the new screws is not the same as the originals.
                            If you replace all 6 screws it should solve the volume issue.

Comment

Yeah, that thought occurred to me; but damn, the original pole pieces make the pickup sound so hot! Maybe I'll just change the one under the 6th string to tame that volume. But first, I want to see if anyone has any other ideas.

Comment

Working...
                              X