basic amp build questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basic amp build questions

What gauge wire should be used in a 5f1 champ clone and should I use solid wire or " multi-strand"? I don't know if that is the right term but you get the idea anyway. I am making the board out of micarta ( phenolic ) with brass eyelets if that makes any difference. I make pocket knives as my day job so I have lots of micarta and G-10 that I use for handle material. I need to buy some wire though and I want to get everything right this time around.
    Thanks a lot,
    Gene

I wouldn't say there is any absolutely right wire as far as the final performance is concerned. However, I would personally use solid core wire with an eyelet board. I like the way the solid wire will stay where it is placed and stranded wire is a big pain to fit in an eyelet that already has 2 or more component leads in it. As long as you don't nick the solid lead wire when stripping off the insulation it will work well and last a long time.
    Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom. What size wire should I use?

Comment

I'd use 20AWG but 22AWG would work fine too.

Comment

I will pick up some wire and I will be ready to start.
          Thanks for the advice.
          Gene

Comment

Note that there are other considerations in addition to the wire size. You want to use wire with a 600V rated insulation and you will want insulation that will withstand soldering temperature. Irradiated PVC is a good choice.
            I have attached an article about hookup wire which covers the basics. Better to read that than me adding more narrative.
            Cheers,
            Tom
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X