No announcement yet.

Fender DR build.. Reverb BUZZ Gremlin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers ChuckH- I am at least near sure its -not- anything within the amp tho: that has to be the only conclusion. What tho is stupifyingly brainaching, as Ive pulled stuff it goes (so its not the amp), but there when I turn on again next day. etc etc etc. Nothing else I can do.

I had no idea these reverb circuits were so sensitive to interference. I did foil shied too but no effect on prob.

Comment

Assuming you're using a proper shielded cable, it may be worth trying a shield on the bottom (open end) of the tank (unless that's where you already tried the foil shield). It needs to make electrical contact with the tank. If this is what you've already tried, without result, then my money is back on an intermittent ground.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Hi ChuckH-

no shielded cable, the cheapest $5 one off ebay (tried a 'better' shielded one/ no difference). The prob has been ruled out that it is any part of the amp, circuit, cable, foil shield in cab, or tank. It works at another house exactly as Id expect/ a quiet buzz not heard up to 5 or so at all, and has worked here the same too (on occasion- but even ruling out a,b,c its still not known).

Its s'thing within the house: electrics, wall cable lines, PC, adjacent plug or something.. but its not possible to find, so I have to live with it. Thankfully reverb up to 2 is quite decent (above 6 and its OTT) so can use it to an extent ok.

Next is the weakish trem.. & Q on PI tube type, speaker wattage rating variations correlating to efficiency/ loudness (which I find stupidly complicated, if indeed there is any correlation).

Cheers SC.

Comment

I just want to say that a shielded cable is a must do. Without one it's the same as removing the shield from a portion of your guitar cable and stuffing it in the back of your amp near the power transformer! I believe you when you say it must be something in the house, but you should cover the details of best noise control anyway. Imagine baking a cake and omitting the sugar!?! "Well I put in every other damn ingredient! How can only skipping one make it taste so bad?"

The PI tube to power tube relationship isn't that complicated. Working from a cloned circuit you probably don't need to worry about it. Of course we here will cover it with you when you're ready to discuss it.

The weak trem still requires that you go inside and poke at it with your meter again. So whenever you have the nerve to continue
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            I just want to say that a shielded cable is a must do. Without one it's the same as removing the shield from a portion of your guitar cable and stuffing it in the back of your amp near the power transformer! I believe you when you say it must be something in the house, but you should cover the details of best noise control anyway. Imagine baking a cake and omitting the sugar!?! "Well I put in every other damn ingredient! How can only skipping one make it taste so bad?"

The PI tube to power tube relationship isn't that complicated. Working from a cloned circuit you probably don't need to worry about it. Of course we here will cover it with you when you're ready to discuss it.

The weak trem still requires that you go inside and poke at it with your meter again. So whenever you have the nerve to continue
            Chuck- I did try a shielded cable. Hum exactly as before. Hence ruling out the cable.

Just to reitterate the circuit Im using: not a clone, but a genuine fender DR RI circuit just with different xfmrs (the very reason to go this route was to hopefully avoid a cloned circuits' near-usual gremlins: such as lead dress, component choice or layout etc etc & its been, on the whole, a successful venture: the gremlins I have have been small/ altho taking longer than expected to sort out admittedly).

Comment

Working...
            X