Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Barden Gatton pickups vs Modern T pickups

Hello everyone,

Has anyone had any experience with these Tele p/ups?

http://splitrockguitars.com/JoeBardenPickups.html

Is there a significant difference between the Gatton and Modern T variants?
    Which ones would you suggest? Does the Modern one still have the classic twang and stuff?

Thank you!

The modern should be a hotter wind, and more of a traditional sound.
    The Danny Gatton pickups are low wound and twangy.
    IMO Joe Barden's are way over priced.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      IMO Joe Barden's are way over priced.
      I guess the main reason Barden prices are high is that people will still buy them.

(sigh)

Remember how after Joe closed the business, the price of used Bardens inflated beyond reason?
      High as the prices are now, Joe's return to business eliminated the price speculation.

10 years later, more people know the science of pickup making and, unsurprisingly, the cachet (and uniqueness) fades.
      That said, when you hold and inspect a 2-coil Barden, you see that it's a complicated assembly and that Joe Barden makes a high quality product.

Oh, and that little thing about the science of pickup making?
      A lot of that is _our_ fault here.
      "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
        I guess the main reason Barden prices are high is that people will still buy them.

(sigh)

Remember how after Joe closed the business, the price of used Bardens inflated beyond reason?
        High as the prices are now, Joe's return to business eliminated the price speculation.

10 years later, more people know the science of pickup making and, unsurprisingly, the cachet (and uniqueness) fades.
        That said, when you hold and inspect a 2-coil Barden, you see that it's a complicated assembly and that Joe Barden makes a high quality product.

Oh, and that little thing about the science of pickup making?
        A lot of that is _our_ fault here.
        Here are some blades I make.
        I sell three, for about what Joe B. Gets for Onel
        T
        http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...1-p1010020.jpg
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Thank you, big_teee!
          I have found these two videos and still can't decide. I think I knida I like the Gatton model better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p8p-XpiRxE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVcAKfdQCm8

I can get the bridge pickup only for $145 and the complete set for $260. It's expensive, but if they're as good as I think they are, that might be a tolerable once in a lifetime investment.

Comment

I really like these ones, but they're P-90 size. I'd probably put a Gatton in the bridge and one of the soapbars at the neck:

Comment

I purchased a Gatton set for a customer a while back and installed them in his tele...I found them very similar to the bill Lawrence's (wilde) L-45 blades...and at $50 each, you cant go wrong

Comment

Harmony Central called, they want their thread back.

Comment

I tried Lawrence's, decent pups, but I need something with a bit more character and response. From trying the Barden Two-Tones, they are top of the line pickups, I hope the Gattons are too.

Comment

Originally posted by putlerkaput View Post
                    I tried Lawrence's, decent pups, but I need something with a bit more character and response. From trying the Barden Two-Tones, they are top of the line pickups, I hope the Gattons are too.
                    yes the gattons have character but can be very bright, I suppose now you will have some use for the tone control

Comment

Originally posted by mr fab View Post
                      yes the gattons have character but can be very bright, I suppose now you will have some use for the tone control
                      Is this one descriptive enough?

Comment

(as opposed to this, for example?)
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thpY9WdCImg

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post
                          Harmony Central called, they want their thread back.
                          I can move this thread over to the general Guitar Tech section which I think would be a more appropriate location.

Any thoughts on this?

Steve A.

P.S. The Pickup Makers forum has traditionally been for members who make pickups rather than buy them. (When it was hosted by Ampage the non-winders were usually as quiet as mice as we were soaking up information and knowledge from the pros. tboy had offered to host their forum when they found themselves homeless, so to speak.)

EDIT: I went ahead and moved this to the Guitar Tech forum.
                          The Blue Guitar
                          www.blueguitar.org
                          Some recordings:
                          https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

'just wondering why more winders don't use lower gauge/thicker wire? We prefer it elsewhere. Would't it allow better conductivity and fully ƒ response—even if it's from the tail end of the wind? That seems to where Barden is getting that clarity from, perhaps. Anyone else doing this as I'd buy such a pickup and you don't need to try silver wire ala Duncan.
                            Usually aside Barden, Lawrence is mentioned. I have a full set in a Godin but as they're slightly higher winds, I'm planning on replacing the neck and mid (a single coil) for some highs again. 'might say Lawrence, as it all wired to a SuperSwitch for too-many options which took ages to implement.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist View Post
                              'just wondering why more winders don't use lower gauge/thicker wire? We prefer it elsewhere. Would't it allow better conductivity and fully ƒ response—even if it's from the tail end of the wind? That seems to where Barden is getting that clarity from, perhaps. Anyone else doing this as I'd buy such a pickup and you don't need to try silver wire ala Duncan.
                              Usually aside Barden, Lawrence is mentioned. I have a full set in a Godin but as they're slightly higher winds, I'm planning on replacing the neck and mid (a single coil) for some highs again. 'might say Lawrence, as it all wired to a SuperSwitch for too-many options which took ages to implement.
                              For most pickups 42-44 is optimum, depending on the tone.
                              Larger wire is bright and clear, but takes a lot of room on small bobbins.
                              I use 42 & 44 for small blades for teles, and strats.
                              41 may work OK also, but you wouldn't get much on a bobbin.
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X