Replacing my tone control with an Orange-style shape control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing my tone control with an Orange-style shape control

I'd like to put a shape control in place of the single tone knob and tone-stack selector switch that my amp has. The switch currently selects between the normal voicing (off) and either a mid-boost, or scooped-mid sound. I tend to like the scooped setting the best, but having the ability to select the range of voicings that the Orange style shape control allows would give me more options.

I've attached the tone section of my amp's schematic (tone.png) and one with the type of shape control I'm looking for (shape.png). What I'd like to do is probably wire up the shape control network on a separate board and remove the PCB-mount single-gang audio tone pot in order to make room for a panel-mount dual-gang linear pot in it's place. In addition, I'd like to repurpose the tone-stack selector switch to select different values (or stacked values) of cathode bypass caps on the first two gain stages, though I'm not sure if that will be possible to do with the existing PCB-mount switch for both stages (I'd like to have resistors in series to keep the caps charged as I've read about where quietly switching bypass caps was discussed).

My questions are:

Will I need to make modifications to this shape control circuit to work the same in a different (although similar) pre-amp section?

Where should I take off and return my jumper leads for the shape circuit to bypass the existing tone section?

What type of switch do I need to accomplish the three way selection of bypass cap values (planned values .68mf, 1.5 to 2.2uf, and 10uf)?

Click image for larger version

Name:	tone.png
Views:	1
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	869518

Click image for larger version

Name:	shape.png
Views:	1
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	869519

There is a problem. Your exsisting circuit shows negative feedback coming to the cathode of V2B. Besides stability concerns, tone controls inside feedback loops typically do the opposite of what they do outside of feedback loops. This makes the mod you propose impractical.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
    X