No announcement yet.

Source for good shielded wire for amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for good shielded wire for amps?

What is your favourite shielded wire for amp building, and where do you get it?

This is the best for me. They are used by some manufacturers as Cornford and others. I buy it in Ampmaker (England).
    Amp Maker: Guitar amp kits and parts :: Wire :: Shielded wire - PVC

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Vecino View Post
      This is the best for me. They are used by some manufacturers as Cornford and others. I buy it in Ampmaker (England).
      Amp Maker: Guitar amp kits and parts :: Wire :: Shielded wire - PVC
      Thanks, that looks great. I wonder who the manufacturer is, or what it's called so I could look for it in the US.

Comment

I buy teflon shielded wire from a seller named navships on eBay. The teflon makes it a little challenging to strip, but the heat resistance means that the likelihood of shorting the inner conductor to the outer conductor is remote, thus eliminating a possible (and difficult) thing to troubleshoot on a new build.

Here's his eBay store. He sells many other types of wire too.
        http://stores.ebay.com/johnssilverteflonwireshop/
        -Mike

Comment

I use Tube depots Mogami interconnect wire. cheap and works fine esp in high gain environments. alittle sensitive to breaking but all shielded wire is that way i find.

Comment

Thanks a lot, that looks like great stuff.

Originally posted by defaced View Post
            the heat resistance means that the likelihood of shorting the inner conductor to the outer conductor is remote
            I do worry about that, especially if it's a plate connection, or if it were an intermittent short!

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLifeILead View Post
              I use Tube depots Mogami interconnect wire. cheap and works fine esp in high gain environments. alittle sensitive to breaking but all shielded wire is that way i find.
              thanks, looks good. kinda reminds me of rg174u which i sometimes use, and is also a bit delicate. but at least this is cheap and easy to get. also i like dealing with tube depot.

Comment

tube depot is the best "one stop shop" for supplies :-)

Comment

You know those extra RCA cables laying around that they give you when buying DVD or Blu-Ray players that you don't use because you use HDMI cables? Clip off the RCA connector ends and you have free shielded cable. It might not meet all of your needs, but what else are you going to do with them? I probably have 4 extra pairs of 3 foot long cables just waiting to be used. It may not be the greatest quality, but it gets the job done.
                  Turn it up so that everything is louder than everything else.

Comment

Working...
                  X