Couple questions about winding a P/J set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple questions about winding a P/J set

So I'm thinking about winding my first set of pickups for a 4 string P/J Bass I have I plan on using mojotone bobbins and bar magnets as blades, I need to know number winds etc. for a P and a split humbucking J that balances well. I was planing on using two blades for the P spaced 1/8" apart and one for the J. My plan for cutting them is to score them with a dremel cut off wheel and then break them and clean them up with a bench grinder then remagnetize them with neos will that work?
    Last edited by Will_White; 05-15-2015, 04:12 AM.

Hi Will:
    Welcome to the forum.
    I'm not aware of any ready made blade parts for Ps & Js?
    What did you have in mind for bobbin parts?
    Were you planning on making them.
    Yes you may be able to score magnets and break and clean them up.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I was planning on just using standard flat-work and cutting the slot across the existing pole piece holes then super glue the magnets in so its secure. Since mojotones' jazz flatworks use the same for both the top and bottom I was planning on cutting them in half and adding eyelets to the one without them. I probably will only use a single magnet on each P-Pickup half; the more I think about it the more I think that the two magnets will just over complicate things.

Comment

OK
        So On the J, you are going to cut them in half, to make 2 coils to make a humbucker.
        That is done a lot, but I haven't done that yet.
        On the P, You mentioned two blades per bobbin, not sure about that.
        A P pickup is already a humbucker.
        You figured that out already.
        Just put a blade in each half and you have it.
        The problem I see with the J, is using the magnet for a blade, you will end up with a shorter bobbin.
        most magnets are only 1/2 inch wide.
        Is that OK?
        On the turns, a regular P bass is 10,000 per bobbin.
        most standard J bobbins are 9,000 + for the bridge.
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 05-15-2015, 05:43 AM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

If you are building a bass, then I would consider routing for larger modern pickup covers.
          If you are modifying an existing bass that is vintage then You will probably want to stay with existing rout.
          The mojo plastic bass bobbins will fit the soapbar covers, and the magnets go in the bobbins.
          Works very slick, and eliminates a lot of problems with the old fender type pickups.
          GL,
          T
          **Edit
          Other things to consider is instead of using the magnets for blades on the J Pickup?
          Why not use steel blades with magnets on the bottom.
          That way height is adjustable with blade height, & length, and use the small magnets on the bottom.
          Use as many magnets as you want, or as needed?
          If anyone else has any ideas on this please jump in!
          Last edited by big_teee; 05-15-2015, 03:33 PM.
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            OK
            So On the J, you are going to cut them in half, to make 2 coils to make a humbucker.
            That is done a lot, but I haven't done that yet.
            On the P, You mentioned two blades per bobbin, not sure about that.
            A P pickup is already a humbucker.
            You figured that out already.
            Just put a blade in each half and you have it.
            The problem I see with the J, is using the magnet for a blade, you will end up with a shorter bobbin.
            most magnets are only 1/2 inch wide.
            Is that OK?
            On the turns, a regular P bass is 10,000 per bobbin.
            most standard J bobbins are 9,000 + for the bridge.
            T
            It's neither a new build nor vintage but I would like to keep it a P/J bass, I've been going back and forth on the two magnets vs one on the P and I'm thinking that it would be more trouble then its worth and would just increase the imbalance between the two pickups. To increase the output, I've been looking for a .75ish x .25ish alnico 5 bar for the J but my search has been unsuccessful, also been considering using a standard alnico 8 bar on the J. I might send Mojotone an email and see if he will do some J flatwork in thin fiberboard so I can fit a few more winds on.

Comment

Sounds like you know what you want.
              I try to give ideas, so you have options.
              Like I said earlier, you could do steel blades with small ceramic magnets at the bottom.
              Another alternative is to stick with rod magnets, but use larger diameter magnets.
              If you take .187 flatwork, and drill it out to .205, or .25", you get a larger force field and more area to magnetize the strings.
              Shea at Magnetic hold has both.
              http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...price-list.pdf
              For estimating the turns you can use the coil estimator.
              http://www.jdguitarworks.com/coil/coil.html
              Find a pickup close to what you are building then you can alter the bobbin parameters.
              GL,
              T
              **Edit
              If you are building a lot of these, you can get Shea to special order any size magnet you need.
              Last edited by big_teee; 05-16-2015, 03:55 PM.
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Will_White View Post
                So I'm thinking about winding my first set of pickups for a 4 string P/J Bass I have I plan on using mojotone bobbins and bar magnets as blades, I need to know number winds etc. for a P and a split humbucking J that balances well. I was planing on using two blades for the P spaced 1/8" apart and one for the J. My plan for cutting them is to score them with a dremel cut off wheel and then break them and clean them up with a bench grinder then remagnetize them with neos will that work?
                my thoughts after significant time spent getting my split J to balance with my P would be

- work with the standard pole magnets until you get the feel for how to balance everything out. it might take you several sets of bobbins to get to where you have the sound you like individually and paired that is also balanced when blended

- get a feel for how to massage the 42AWG in the split P set with the 43AWG you'll need to use in the split J set

- once you have it working to your satisfaction, then swap out the magnet types and wind a set identical to the 'perfect' PJ set and see what you hear. this would give you a good idea what to massage to get the sound and volume right where you want it as compared to a know 'perfect' pickup set

Mojo used to offer a split J4 set of flatwork for both bridge and neck positions. for a little added $$, they might be able to cut you a few sets with the bar magnet mod you mentioned ... and the small bit of $$ might save you the cost of unusable flatwork if you make a couple bad cuts working the details out for the bar mags

Comment

Another alternative, and I think a good one, is instead of all the alterations of a narrow J pickup?
                  Go with a Double J, using two J bobbins, and a double cover.
                  I made a Double J, and it is a humbucker, has the J cover look, and above all, it really works, is strong and sounds great.
                  http://www.mojotone.com/cover-double...ck-2115294.jpg
                  But, yes you will need a bigger hole.
                  T
                  Last edited by big_teee; 05-17-2015, 03:39 AM.
                  Terry

Comment

Working...
                  X