And I thought I was bad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And I thought I was bad...

This was posted over in DIYAudio, but while I am clearing my shop, I had to reflect on this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8nbHYOc8ns
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

I guess he was trying to save money on parts? He sure didn't save any time though.
    Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

Reminds me of my Father's shop before Florida's climate ruined most of it.
      Drewline

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Comment

OCD maybe?
        Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

Originally posted by dmartn149 View Post
          OCD maybe?
          That's the white pedal you need along with the green pedal in order to play guitar.
          Drewline

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Comment

I wonder how many of those tubes are good for guitar amps?

I have a contact who has a vast collection of NOS tubes, all boxed in original cartons and neatly packed in trays. Trouble is, many are for battery radios, or TVs, or for specific industrial applications. Many also have high heater voltage ratings for direct series connection.

Comment

Oh yeah, I have a bunch of old tubes like that. I am waiting for someone to make a preamp with some pentagrid converter tube or something. Maybe it could be used as some sort of combination gain stage and trem all in one tube. Or...maybe not.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

FWIW a friend of mine in Rio, Brazil, makes amps *only* with TV tubes, they sound very good; here's one based on 6BZ8 and 6EM5:

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Just goes to show you how unnecessary it is to worry over every tiny specification, when great results come from using most any old thing.

English is hard enough for me, and I know enough Spanish to order a beer or some shrimp, but Portuguese?

I'm clearing my shop, and I sure do have a couple boxes of such odd tubes. I'm thinking music flea market at Sweetwater next month.

Comment

Wow.....and Wow again.
                    He must have a few thousand dollars, just in Tupper Ware.
                    I did not realize, until near the end, that most all of those parts were Reclaimed/Recycled/Salvaged ... Holy Cow...!!
                    Kind of makes me wish I had known the guy.......
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zquNjKjsfw
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiE-DBtWC5I
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=472E...0OYTnWIkoj8Sna

Comment

header says the whole load sold for $405 on ebay????!!!

His family got nanocents on the dollar...apparently they were all salvaged parts, guy breathed a few fumes de-soldering for a cumulative couple years...OCD city

Comment

A friend of mine cleared his Father's stock of parts from a car repair business. All neatly indexed and looked promising. The large stock of stop/tail lamps were all individually labeled identifying which filament had blown. Pretty much everything was junk in the end. Removed, cleaned, labelled and stored over decades.

Comment

Well, look at it this way, if nothing else, they got $400 worth of storage containers.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                            Oh yeah, I have a bunch of old tubes like that. I am waiting for someone to make a preamp with some pentagrid converter tube or something. Maybe it could be used as some sort of combination gain stage and trem all in one tube. Or...maybe not.
                            I LOL'd at this because that's exactly what I did recently.

SS TT FF and DDS for dummies code article

Comment

Well, that is cool.

But to nit pick, a pentode has three grids. A pentagrid tube has FIVE grids. In radio circuits you could use it as a pentode for gain, but also use one of the other grids as a modulator for the IF oscillator, and that would in the one tube heterodyne the Rf down to some IF.

But to use it, would really be doing exactly what you did, but with more grids than we know what to do with in the tube. Kinda a what the hell do I do with this tube project.

Comment

Working...
                              X