No announcement yet.

Gibson SG faded- pickup suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P90s are single coils, but they are not like a Tele or a Strat pickup. They have a much larger and resistive coil. (They were one of Gibsons first pickups and also why they are so large) The thing with a lot of modern HB pickups is that they are overwound for higher output (hot pickups). It tends to make them darker.
    Wiring ANY pickup direct simply removes all other variables so you can start from a real base line situation. It takes 2 minutes. If you like the way it sounds direct, then I would suggest 500k or even 1meg pots.

Comment

Chief... my first guitar was an SG Classic with the Vibrola bar. So your post caught my curiosity. Check out this video.

Gibson SG Standard, Special and P90 Comparison

It might be a good example of comparing the P90 to a standard pickup.
      It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        Lmfao! I forgot that one! Same guy?

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          How old are you, i guess about 5?

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
            Lmfao! I forgot that one! Same guy?
            Yes- I thought Id asked a similar Q sometime ago on another forum tbh.

Oh well. If its going juvenile comments now theres no point continuing- I'll take my Qs elsewhere.

Thanks anyway. SC

Comment

What was so 'juvenile' about linking to a post that you made 8 months ago on the same unresolved subject?

Curious I am.

Comment

Its cartoon guys et al with fkall to add but childish !comments! sniping or just mean posts etc JazzP. I didnt resolve last time as once the kids like big-teeeee! (I assume maybe a teenager) & other desperate noises start their sad ass sh*t I dont read anymore of it/ lost interest/ whats the fkin point etc.

I dont quite get how testing the neck P/U to the jack will tell me what a 500K will sound like compared to a 300K. Is that such a stupid Q to ask? no point just doing suggested X if Im not yet clear why.

Comment

A 500K pot will put less of a load on the pickup.

If you do not have the part, wiring the PU direct to the jack will 'simulate' the 500K affect.
                  If you like the sound direct, then a 500K pot will help.

Comment

Ok I get the basics, but therefore why not the suggestion "1M pot"? IE why the small jump to 500K? suggested, & not a 1M for eg (or max possible).

If I wire direct to the jack I assume the vol will be more than 300k at max rotation. As its a lin pot I assume therefore 500k would be an audible jump in vol at max rotation compared to the 300k.. but what k does wiring to the jack simulate? infinite k? (or indeed if 500k, why does it simulate specifically this figure?).

Comment

Get out the soldering iron & try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
                        Yes- I thought Id asked a similar Q sometime ago on another forum tbh.

Oh well. If its going juvenile comments now theres no point continuing- I'll take my Qs elsewhere.

Thanks anyway. SC
                        Promises, promises....

I can't believe people waste their time on you.

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post
                          Promises, promises....

I can't believe people waste their time on you.
                          (..such as this idiot you see JazzP)..

so- thats YOU then ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
                            Ok I get the basics, but therefore why not the suggestion "1M pot"? IE why the small jump to 500K? suggested, & not a 1M for eg (or max possible).

If I wire direct to the jack I assume the vol will be more than 300k at max rotation. As its a lin pot I assume therefore 500k would be an audible jump in vol at max rotation compared to the 300k.. but what k does wiring to the jack simulate? infinite k? (or indeed if 500k, why does it simulate specifically this figure?).
                            The different pots (with their different resistance values) 'load down' the signal more or less, depending on how close to zero (off) or infinity (no load at all) the value of the pot is. In addition to the volume that you mentioned, the real system will have effects that include rolling off high or low frequencies more than any calculation based purely on resistance would indicate.

Short answer, the smaller the pot, the darker the sound by the time it gets to the guitar's output jack. Wire the pup directly to the jack and hear for yourself what the effects of your vol and tone controls are, by process of elimination. If the pup - all by itself - does not strike your fancy, then logic tells us that you will want to change the pup.

If the result of this experiment is that you like the pup all by itself, then there's hope that a brighter (read: higher-resistance/impedance) vol and tone control network will get you where you want to go. That's it. Simple experiment and simple go/no go test result.

Wiring the pup direct is WAAAAY easier than swapping out parts that you don't know will work for you.
                            If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                            If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                            We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                            MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I'm devastated, the troll doesn't like me.

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
                                The different pots (with their different resistance values) 'load down' the signal more or less, depending on how close to zero (off) or infinity (no load at all) the value of the pot is. In addition to the volume that you mentioned, the real system will have effects that include rolling off high or low frequencies more than any calculation based purely on resistance would indicate.

Short answer, the smaller the pot, the darker the sound by the time it gets to the guitar's output jack. Wire the pup directly to the jack and hear for yourself what the effects of your vol and tone controls are, by process of elimination. If the pup - all by itself - does not strike your fancy, then logic tells us that you will want to change the pup.
                                I understand the principle of the test: what the p/u sounds like with no load.

What Im trying to ask is why not as high a pot as poss? surely only a "~" value pot will give any indication of what the p/u sounds like unloaded. Im curious as to why the figure 500k is being used, as it seems only a little more than the stock 300k.

I unhooked the inner + wire from its vol lug and linked it direct to the hot jack terminal. Do I have to undo the shield of p/u cable from pot back & send to the - jack terminal? IE as its going to the - lug as it is, can it not just stay put?

Comment

Working...
                                X