Gibson SG faded- pickup suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John_H View Post
    I'm devastated, the troll doesn't like me.
    child, take your timewasting posts elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
      The different pots (with their different resistance values) 'load down' the signal more or less, depending on how close to zero (off) or infinity (no load at all) the value of the pot is. In addition to the volume that you mentioned, the real system will have effects that include rolling off high or low frequencies more than any calculation based purely on resistance would indicate.

Short answer, the smaller the pot, the darker the sound by the time it gets to the guitar's output jack. Wire the pup directly to the jack and hear for yourself what the effects of your vol and tone controls are, by process of elimination. If the pup - all by itself - does not strike your fancy, then logic tells us that you will want to change the pup.

If the result of this experiment is that you like the pup all by itself, then there's hope that a brighter (read: higher-resistance/impedance) vol and tone control network will get you where you want to go. That's it. Simple experiment and simple go/no go test result.

Wiring the pup direct is WAAAAY easier than swapping out parts that you don't know will work for you.
      This troll doesn't want to fix anything. This thread is almost identical to all of his others. Same bullshit different day...

Comment

I just got a private message from this clown telling me to fuck off.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
          What Im trying to ask is why not as high a pot as poss? surely only a "~" value pot will give any indication of what the p/u sounds like unloaded. Im curious as to why the figure 500k is being used, as it seems only a little more than the stock 300k.
          re-read my post #28

I unhooked the inner + wire from its vol lug and linked it direct to the hot jack terminal. Do I have to undo the shield of p/u cable from pot back & send to the - jack terminal? IE as its going to the - lug as it is, can it not just stay put?
          re-read my post #13
          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Ok JazzP eschetron I wired up a new jack (kept orig in tact by tagging a wire link from new pot - to the p/u 'star earth' [afaict] obviously undid p/u + took direct to new jacks hot etc). No pots worked so I guess I did it ok if slightly different way.

Yes it seems a little brighter. Bass farts out but I guess no 'thing' there stopping it? (cap? tone pot?) wired back orig way asap and defo of a blanket effect to the sound again. Not night and day in fact only sublte.. including volume hardly any louder.

So perhaps worth trying. Is the idea keep the tones as is (also 500k log iirc), just swap the vols to 500k?

thanks chaps, SC

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post
              I just got a private message from this clown telling me to fuck off.
              Yes, you need reminding again publicly dipstick? fuck off my thread.

Comment

If the pup by itself isn't screamingly bright, then you may want to do as you thought, and make the volume pot a 1M value. While you're in there, evaluate if you want a tone control at all, and maybe a smaller tone cap (higher knee frequency) or one of those 'no load' pots where it switches off with a click to remove it from the circuit. These are some of the ways to improve the HF response, you may or may not need to use all of them, or others. Search the internet for guitar tone mods and see all the different ways people have done what you want to do.

edit: 'effect only subtle' smells like trouble to me. There will always be some kind of loading effect.
                MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

If the pup by itself isn't screamingly bright, then you may want to do as you thought, and make the volume pot a 1M value. While you're in there, evaluate if you want a tone control at all, and maybe a smaller tone cap (higher knee frequency) or one of those 'no load' pots where it switches off with a click to remove it from the circuit. These are some of the ways to improve the HF response, you may or may not need to use all of them, or others. Search the internet for guitar tone mods and see all the different ways people have done what you want to do.

edit: 'effect only subtle' smells like trouble to me. There will always be some kind of loading effect.
                  Ah ok.. what to do then. Knee freQ? thats a new one on me.

I only need tone for bridge p/u as I roll off a bit to make it more 'exotic' (like when I put worcester sauce in my beans/ wor-cestersher-shire sauce to you lot but, I never use neck p/u tone other than max 10. I guess best keep them as they are?

Worth doing both vols I think then as £8. 'Subtle' is very subjective- it might well be a big difference to you.. Id say it was akin to going from neck p/u to ~nearing~ my standard middle/ both p/u position brightness.

Any idea on the bass notes farting out a bit during the test?

Comment

What we've determined is that there is a difference 'with' and 'without'. But not yet determined if the vol knobs are exclusively to blame or not. I'm not familiar with the wiring for your SG. 2 vol, 1 tone? So if the tone is 'downstream' of the selector switch, maybe you can repeat your test but after the vol control instead of before. It may be as simple as lifting the wire that goes to the switch after replacing the wire that goes to the pickup.

I know that 500k or 1M pots will help, but we haven't determined by how much. Finding that out will increase our chances of success.

Comment

Yes, you need reminding again publicly dipstick? fuck off my thread.
                      Move along folks... Nothing to see here...

He had the same thread a few months ago, and never tried to fix his guitar. He's full of shit, and only wishes to waste your time. He's mad at me for calling him out as a troll. That's what he is. All of his threads have the same troll stench. If you doubt what I say, do some reading, and you'll see what I mean. When confronted, he's quite defensive, and abusive. He attacks by name calling, and then acts like a victim. Any time spent trying to help him is a waste. He's proven that.

Comment

I second what J_H said.
                        I already had him on the ignore list, that is how I picked up his first thread.
                        I recommend you put him on the ignore list like I did.
                        There are some great techs that hang out here.
                        He won't follow anyones suggestions, just Trolls and posts, and won't fix anything.
                        T
                        Last edited by big_teee; 05-28-2015, 12:41 PM.
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

good good you 2 kiddies- now off you go/ stop wasting yr time posting on my threads then.

john.H hanging out on threads posting nowt but inane spineless sh*t as youve done on here is the very definition of a web troll.. you brainless douche!

tee-hee! i dont take yr advice remember/ dont read your info so dont bother to post best thing. cant evenbe fkd to put ypu on ignore tbh

Comment

What we've determined is that there is a difference 'with' and 'without'. But not yet determined if the vol knobs are exclusively to blame or not. I'm not familiar with the wiring for your SG. 2 vol, 1 tone? So if the tone is 'downstream' of the selector switch, maybe you can repeat your test but after the vol control instead of before. It may be as simple as lifting the wire that goes to the switch after replacing the wire that goes to the pickup.

I know that 500k or 1M pots will help, but we haven't determined by how much. Finding that out will increase our chances of success.
                            Good point, I was just looking into exactly what wiring system I have. Its a 2 vol/ 2 tone, and nearest I can see (probably is but a slight variation on where the wee tone pots' cap sits: mine are soldered to pot back > middle lug & stop there) is the 'modern gibson' wiring. Whether or not A is downstream from B Im not sure.

Im reading that the "50's wiring" might help a bit to clean things up. Seems popular. Afaict its a case of putting the tones down (or up) stream from the modern wiring, so fits with what your referring to maybe?

thanks, SC.

Comment

john.H hanging out on threads posting nowt but inane spineless sh*t as youve done on here is the very definition of a web troll.. you brainless douche!
                              Do you have trouble making friends? You seem somewhat socially retarded.

Comment

Dude good band -- Socially Retarded ? Free listening, videos, concerts, stats and pictures at Last.fm

that bass is fuzzy and dark

Comment

Working...
                                X