Ampeg B3 with crossover distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg B3 with crossover distortion

Just replaced the two fried output transistors on an Ampeg B3 bass amp of the high freq section. After that the amp is working but I have crossover distortion on the output and it's audible. There's no any trimmer that I can bias it, which resistor(s) do I have to replace to bias it properly?

Schematics attached.
    Attached Files

Are you getting correct DC at TP's 7 & 8 ?
    Note that they are different than the values given for TP's 5 & 6.
    Those voltages are what sets the bias.
    The only difference between the two circuits are R4 & R47 being different values from R23 & R28.
    So I would think those are the resistors you want to look at.
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I get slightly lower values at TP 7 & 8.
      Yes, those resistors I thought too but I wasn't sure.

Comment

Have you actually measured the bias across the emitter resistors?

I ask because something else may be causing the distortion.

If you blindly hack into the bias circuit, you may mask the original problem.

I am thinking maybe you could lift D32 & D33, as the protect transistors may have taken a hit.
        If the xover distortion goes away then you can inspect each half circuit.

Comment

It's time to bring this amp back to my workbench. I haven't found the problem, yet. Crossover distortion is still there.

Today I replaced those protect transistors and the emitter resistors but with no luck.

Voltages across emitter resistors are around 0.8mV and at the low frequency amp section 1.8mV.

Comment

Finally, no crossover distortion!

I messed around with those resistors, R4 and R47. I started with 110K and on my scope the crossover distortion was less than before, also voltages at the emitter resistors where a little bit higher. I connected a bass and a speaker and was less audible, too.

I ended up with 133K (100K + 33K) resistors and now I have across all emitter resistors, both low and high amp section, around 2mV. Amp sounds awesome! Hope I didn't mask the original problem. The amp is at full power right now almost an hour without any problems.

Comment

Working...
            X