Miller Amps - Flint, Michigan - 1980's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Amps - Flint, Michigan - 1980's

Does anyone have any information on an amp builder by the name of Fred Miller? He built "Miller" amps in a small shop behind his house north of Flint Michigan in the 1970-80's. He passed away many years ago but I'm looking for his layouts and schematics. I am really interested in the 'leslie' style rig he built. I also own one of his PA mixers.

He built guitar/bass amps, PA systems, etc.

I know this is a long shot......

thanks
    keith

I faced a Miller amp once long ago. I had to draw out my own schematic from the circuit. Fortunately the design was simple and VERY conventional. I have been clearing the shop lately, and sorry, I think I just threw that away last week. If it is still in my files there, I will post what I have. But if your mixer is a powered mixer, the amp in it ought to be representative.

The solid state power amp in a Leslie won't grind like the old tube amps, so the key to a good Leslie sound would be the speaker arrangement.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hi Enzo,
      Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.

My brother used the Miller Leslie for many years and it served him and our band well. Other than weight and and size it was a great amp and very loud if it needed to be. The bass cabinet (it was built as a 'stacked' amp. Top was the leslie and bottom was the bass cabinet). Anyway, I think Fred built a lot of his cabinets out of particle board and that is what ruined the leslie. After it got wet it just fell apart. My goal is to rebuild the entire amp into a single unit and I wanted the schematic to help me. Resistors and caps are no problem but I have no clue with the transistors.

My mixer is not powered and for the most part still works although it doesn't see much action anymore (I retired from my day job and playing music).

Thanks again for the reply to this. I've been looking for many years for anyone who knew Fred or worked on his stuff.

keith

Comment

I don't think he was big enough to get custom marked transistors, hell even most commercial amp makers don't bother with that. So look on the transistors and see what number is printed there.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I have a Miller VTG-240 tube amp. 240 watts. Looks like a West Fillmore. I'd love more info on Miller amps. This one is very cool and very well built.

Comment

Would anyone have a Miller VTG tube amp ?

Comment

Working...
            X