Found another potential gem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found another potential gem

A nearby "antique" store had an old reel to reel unit (from 1952 I found out) for a long time. I thought it might have tubes when I first looked at it but it wasn't priced and I couldn't see through the screens on the sides very well so I passed. Today I went by there and they're going out of business, so I stopped in and they still had the R2R. I asked for the price, the guy said he wasn't sure, so I offered $5 and he took it.

The really good news is it's got an SE amp with a 6AQ5, 6X4, 12AX7 and 5879 tube, along with a PT and OT that look like they're in really good shape. The rest of the unit is rusty, including the tape heads and mechanism, so it wasn't worth restoring. But I think this will make a dandy little practice amp.
    --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

How 'bout a pic or two?

Strange coincidence: I just restored an Akai GX-747 for a customer last week. Strange only because you don't get in many reel to reel machines these days.
    "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I already stripped the chassis, but the top does have some cool looking plastic covers. I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow.
      --Jim

Comment

You can see the large crack in the middle, the components under it are all rusty. The microphone is cool, I don't know if it works yet or not, but the iron and tubes were well worth the five bucks.
        Attached Files
        --Jim

Comment

Groovy old piece. Yes, well worth the 5 bucks. Maybe an old ribbon mic?
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I don't know what that means?
            --Jim

Comment

What?
              Ribbon microphone?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ribbon fig1.gif
Views:	1
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	837906

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribbon Mic.png
Views:	1
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	837907

https://www.google.com/search?q=old+...IVgvOACh3HKACC

Comment

I have a phobia of speaking into a microphone so I know little to nothing about them. Maybe not a real phobia, but I hate hearing my own voice so I don't go near them.
                --Jim

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                  Maybe an old ribbon mic?
                  Kind of doubt you'd get a ribbon mic as part of a tape recorder "kit". More likely a dynamic or crystal mic. I do like the "electric shaver" look.

One thing about most ribbons, they're very fragile. Don't blow into one "is this thing working? - - - whoosh" because then it won't be. First PA outfit I worked for, the owner had an early EV ribbon, the nut put it in the kick drum. It lasted about 2 seconds. Wrecked a good collectors-item mic, just like that.

Funny seeing that diagram JPB. One time I had to repair an RCA DX77, the one that looks like a big pill. Cover off, that's just what's inside, a big U-shaped magnet with a fine aluminum crinkled ribbon. The connections were made with 12-gauge solid copper wire, one of them was broken. Looked like it was built in the Flintstones age, that primitive. Good sounding mic once it was fixed, sounded just like those old recordings from the 1940's.
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Sure looks like a plain old crystal mic to me. I'd be willing to bet my lunch money, hell a months lunch money, that no ribbon mic came with a recorder like that.

By crack, you mean the tape slot?
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It looks like some sort of diaphragm or crystal, as Enzo said. Definitly not a ribbon, it's all enclosed like a little speaker with a foil cover.
                      Attached Files
                      --Jim

Comment

No, a crack in the faceplate. I think I'm going to try to find some old reels and make a clock out of it.
                        --Jim

Comment

So did you ever do anything with this project? I just finished building an amp with these very tubes. Sounds awesome through a pair of 12" celestions. Really hard to believe it's only a few watts. If you like a champ, you'll like what you can build with those tubes.
                          Vote like your future depends on it.

Comment

Working...
                          X