Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Received this robo call scam 3 times today.
    You can play the message on link below.
    https://www.nomorobo.com/lookup/845-523-2400
    Beware.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I've been getting one of those about every other day for the last month, teee! A good amount of the blocked numbers on my phone are related to that robocall. What sucks is that, even though I have them blocked from calling, they can still leave a voice mail, which is a PITA. In fact, if anybody has info on how to block both call and voicemail on these bastards, I'd appreciate the info.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        Received this robo call scam 3 times today.
        You can play the message on link below.
        https://www.nomorobo.com/lookup/845-523-2400
        Beware.
        T
        Hmmm... it makes me wonder if the company that sells the "nomorobo" app is behind those robocalls, just to drum up a little business...

A reminder that the IRS will never cold call you... they always send a letter first.

Steve A.
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:
        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

If I could reach through the phone and pull them in?
          My wife would beat the hell out of them!
          She's tired of the calls.
          I put them on the block call list, will see how it goes.
          I don't have voice mail on the home phone, but I do have and answering machine!
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

845-523-2400
            Crikeys, Terry, that's my area code. But then again these idjits can set up anywhere they want, and an area code doesn't necessarily mean the calls are being made from any particular zone.

FWIW I've noticed a common theme in practically all the scam calls I get for the last couple months. Before the caller starts talking, there's a quiet but noticeable "ping" in the audio, like a little bell. That's a sure fire clue I'm about to get a chance to give some #$@hole a piece of my mind. Sometimes it's good to vent, and these jerks richly deserve whatever stream of blue language we can work up. What's amazing is occasionally a cheeky computer repair troll will cheerfully continue to carry on: "Just turn on your computer sir, press the Windoze flag key, and type the following into the box..." As if. Lately when I ask 'em how's the weather in Chennai they claim they're in Orlando or Miami. What a load of curried baloney.

I'd love to send the lot of them to your wife for a proper bashing!

Putting your number on the do not call list absolutely does not work. These wankers do not respect anything. Similarly if you have some means of blocking calls from a specific number, that doesn't work either. They have phone banks, hundreds of numbers, they proliferate like the vermin they are, there's no stopping them. Unless they meet Mrs Teeee...... then bury 'em in the back 40, they make good fertilizer.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Also, I get calls that want to know if this is (name here).
              I never say yes, I always ask who are you, and why are you calling?
              Yes, can be the answer they want to subscribe you to something.
              What a corrupt, and crooked time we live in!
              T
              **Leo, is that you calling me from NY?
              Terry

Comment

For the last two days I've been called, with the message that my windows license key has expired.
                Similar to this.
                https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-29d2efd7e073
                What is ironic, I don't have any computers with windows.
                All of mine are on Linux!
                The number called from is 800-538-3888.
                I called the number back and got an indian sounding guy.
                I told him to take my number off his list and to quit calling!
                He hung up on me! Which is fitting, I hung up on him earlier!
                T
                Last edited by big_teee; 09-25-2018, 08:38 PM.
                Terry

Comment

For the last two days I've been called, with the message that my windows license key has expired.
                  Similar to this.
                  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-29d2efd7e073
                  What is ironic, I don't have any computers with windows.
                  All of mine are on Linux!
                  The number called from is 800-538-3888.
                  I called the number back and got an indian sounding guy.
                  I told him to take my number off his list and to quit calling!
                  He hung up on me! Which is fitting, I hung up on him earlier!
                  T
                  They call here all the time. I've learned enough Hindoo to give 'em an earful. Women are not spared! Don't worry they'll keep calling. Just like other dopes that don't know when to stop even when it's obvious they're getting nowhere.

And they're indiscriminate: they don't know you use windows or whatever. Just scammers shotgunning, hoping for a cash hit. Tell 'em you know they're calling from Pakistan or Bangladesh, they hate that, because they're so proud to be Indian.

Lots of youtube video with people vs. scammers. The best ones are when the intended victim manages to syskey the scammer's computer, turn it into a brick. Sometimes they brick all the computers at the scam office. Lots of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                    They call here all the time. I've learned enough Hindoo to give 'em an earful. Women are not spared! Don't worry they'll keep calling. Just like other dopes that don't know when to stop even when it's obvious they're getting nowhere.

And they're indiscriminate: they don't know you use windows or whatever. Just scammers shotgunning, hoping for a cash hit. Tell 'em you know they're calling from Pakistan or Bangladesh, they hate that, because they're so proud to be Indian.

Lots of youtube video with people vs. scammers. The best ones are when the intended victim manages to syskey the scammer's computer, turn it into a brick. Sometimes they brick all the computers at the scam office. Lots of fun!
                    OH man, I got those. "Just go to get apple gift card for 300.00 amount and read card number to me over the phone". WWWHHHAATT??? Someone fell for this?
                    The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
                      OH man, I got those. "Just go to get apple gift card for 300.00 amount and read card number to me over the phone". WWWHHHAATT??? Someone fell for this?
                      Yeah, that's how the scammers collect their loot. What's even more incredible, scammers pretending to be IRS agents also demand their victims buy gift cards - Itunes commonly - as if IRS takes that as payment. Doubly incredible, people fall for it. If they didn't succeed, scammers would not stay in business.

Comment

When I have time I like to give them the run around. I'll give them an incorrect password, card number, etc. with the wrong amount of characters. Then they'll tell me that can't be right, so I'll ask them to let me check it and tell them I accidentally gave them my library card or something and then ask them to wait while I get the right card. Then I'll complain about how small the numbers are and tell them I need to get my glasses and make them wait again. In between incidents I'll try to make conversation about my irritable bowel syndrome or I'll yell at my (fake) dog for $h!tt!ing on the carpet and make small talk about that. Then I'll tell them I just can't find the card or password right now and ask them if I can call them back. They usually hang up then if they haven't already.
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Also, I get calls that want to know if this is (name here).
                          I never say yes, I always ask who are you, and why are you calling?
                          Yes, can be the answer they want to subscribe you to something.
                          What a corrupt, and crooked time we live in!
                          T
                          **Leo, is that you calling me from NY?
                          I always answer "Hi, this is Carlo Ponti, what can I do for you?", even though he's been gone since, what 2007?
                          The only good solid state amp is a dead solid state amp. Unless it sounds really good, then its OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                            When I have time I like to give them the run around. I'll give them an incorrect password, card number, etc. with the wrong amount of characters. Then they'll tell me that can't be right, so I'll ask them to let me check it and tell them I accidentally gave them my library card or something and then ask them to wait while I get the right card. Then I'll complain about how small the numbers are and tell them I need to get my glasses and make them wait again. In between incidents I'll try to make conversation about my irritable bowel syndrome or I'll yell at my (fake) dog for $h!tt!ing on the carpet and make small talk about that. Then I'll tell them I just can't find the card or password right now and ask them if I can call them back. They usually hang up then if they haven't already.
                            Hah, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                              Yeah, that's how the scammers collect their loot. What's even more incredible, scammers pretending to be IRS agents also demand their victims buy gift cards - Itunes commonly - as if IRS takes that as payment. Doubly incredible, people fall for it. If they didn't succeed, scammers would not stay in business.
                              yeah, really sad stories out there, some very non tech savvy people, I can't remember the numbers but read some estimates by some US law enforcement its in the hundreds of millions, not only in the USA though. A family friend got stung by one of those fake " Hello this is Microsoft Tech Support, we found viruses that stole your bank information ..." scams. She was able to get the money back from her credit card company, luckily in that case. Im constantly worried that they installed key loggers and will someday be able to steal real money from her.

Comment

Originally posted by mikepukmel View Post
                                I always answer "Hi, this is Carlo Ponti, what can I do for you?", even though he's been gone since, what 2007?
                                That's so obtuse its like an inside joke between you and yourself. What would you do if the scammer asked to speak to Sophia?
                                -rb
                                Last edited by rjb; 10-29-2018, 03:56 PM.
                                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                                X