Cooling fan re-connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling fan re-connection

Hi all, I need help reconnecting a cooling fan on a carlsboro 1500 Marlin powered P A amp please.
    I required this amp a week ago. I ran this amp for about 25 minuets and the thermal cut-out shut the amp down.
    On inspection I found the fan was not working.I tested the fan and it was working,so on stripping down the amp found the red and black wires are not connected.
    Can some one please give me the connections.Thanks.Michael

Welcome Mikey.

I have no real knowledge of your amp, perhaps if you can find a schematic for it, that will show you how to reconnect the fan. If the fan has a plug on the wires, you might be able to find the matching connector on the pc board.

How hard were you driving the amp before it shut down? If you weren't driving it that hard, your amp might have an overheating problem, that may need more than a fan to fix it.

Comment

Cooling fan

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
      Welcome Mikey.

I have no real knowledge of your amp, perhaps if you can find a schematic for it, that will show you how to reconnect the fan. If the fan has a plug on the wires, you might be able to find the matching connector on the pc board.

How hard were you driving the amp before it shut down? If you weren't driving it that hard, your amp might have an overheating problem, that may need more than a fan to fix it.
      Hi Bill and thanks for the response.No plug on the red and black wires,just bare ends,looks like they have been damaged in a previous strip down,
      It was a very hot day and a outdoor Gig,the volume was only on number two. Carlsboro are great amps and the only reason they are not well known
      out side of the UK is no famous artists have used them.I have used Marshalls,Vox,Messa Boogie and I think thay are on par with all those.
      Carlsboro are 70s,80s,and 90s,classics.Thanks,Michael.

Comment

There is usually a voltage sticker on fans.

What is the fan voltage supposed to be?

Besides that, I would look at the board real hard for two pads that are empty.
        If you do find them, measure the voltage on them & see if that agrees with the fan sticker.

Comment

^^^^^^^^ What he said. In addition to looking for empty pads, look for a plastic connector that has no wires left on it. The wires might have ripped out of a connector.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Hey whats up Dude.Thanks for the info,I think I will Drop in a 12v transformer and run the fan off it.Thanks.Michael

Comment

Hi Jazz P Bass. I think my amp was worked on by a brain surgeon,and he did not leave a trace of evidence of the crime.
              I think a 12v transformer fitted in a vacant space will be a easy fix. P.S,are you a bass player like me ( I refer to your user name)
              I use a 1978 Fender Pro. myself.Thanks.Michael

Comment

Yeah, my main gigger is the photo.
                1987 MIJ Jazz Bass Special.

Rex and the Bass: Fender Jazz Bass Special

Comment

Hi Jazz, Very interesting info,I think I said Fender Pro and and should have said Precision.My favourite axe was a 1958 Gibson ebo2 ,It was so bassey it made
                  the floor shake,I added two DeMazzios and wired it up for split sound.wow it was fantastic.I sold it for £8000.00 sterling four years ago.I bought it from
                  The Move (LATER TO BECOME e.l.o) after they let me use it one nigh,My band was the support band.Robert Plant lives about a mile from me and I
                  have known him many years Hope to talk again.See ya.Michael

Comment

Working...
                  X