Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVT CL brief buzz coming out of standby

Just like the title.
    When you flip the standby to power up the amp, there is a brief buzz making its way into the audio path.

If you remove the v3 12AX7 from the power amp the buzz is also removed.

Removing V2 in the preamp, buzz still there as well as open cucuit hum.

So it's like the standby/fault circuit us leaking noise into the audio path as it comes out of standby, or high voltage coming up is causing noise in V3.

Anyone see anything similar?

It's not the tubes as I swapped in good ones.

Is this a problem?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Don't know.
      That's why I was asking if anyone had encountered it before.

I haven't, and it's an odd electronic sounding buzz that follows the standby/fault LED.

You can see it on the 5532 opamp, but not on the 15v rails.

Comment

My im[;ication was that a lot of amps make some sort of noise as they power up. If this is not interfering with normal operation, it might be the sort of thing I'd overlook.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Turns out someone reversed the ribbon connector from the preamp.

The preamp/power amp in/out jacks weren't working, so while checking out why I saw the connector was backwards.
          In out jacks now work with no buzz.

Waiting on new 12AU7's as he ones in it are flaky screwing with bias until it "pops" on.

Comment

Originally posted by drewl View Post
            Turns out someone reversed the ribbon connector from the preamp.
            Hate it what that happens....even more when I mis-connect it and don't find out until check-out!
            Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

Well it was doing it before I tore it apart.
              Someone had reversed the connector at the power amp side, so when I connected it at the preamp when I tore it apart the connections were still backwards.

I've made plenty of boneheaded mistakes in the past and freely admit my own ineptitude.
              It's quite easy to be humbled when working on various things. No place for a big ego.

Comment

Working...
              X