Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repairing my wrecked Yamaha G100 mkii head. Reverb problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing my wrecked Yamaha G100 mkii head. Reverb problems.

So I bought my dream amp. A Yamaha G100 mkii Head. Not to everyone's taste but I think it's magic.

UPS then did their best to destroy it during shipping Really pee'd off about this as the seller wrapped it superbly. They must have gone out of their way to damage it. Tragic that an amp that survived 35 years without picking up a mark has now been rendered worthless. Now I'm on a mission to fix it up.

Most of the damage is cosmetic (cracked case, resultant torn tolex), but I've found that the reverb seems to be affected too. The reverb worked fine before the amp was shipped (saw a video) but now it has a weird overly springy almost distorted tone. Like a nasty springy thrumming tone on top of the normal tone. Sounds absolutely nothing like the gorgeous reverb on the Yamaha G50 combo that I also have.

Could a damaged tank cause this effect? I'm hoping so as it would be relatively easy to replace this.

Hopefully this can be repaired as then I can go about bracing the cracked panel and attempting a re-tolex to get it back to mint.

Cheers,

iep

Pop out the tank a take gander at the springs.

Chances are that they broke loose.

Comment

Good call! I just stripped it out and, yes, one spring has snapped off.

Fortunately, the tank is still available so I can replace old for new.

As an aside, UPS have claimed amp was poorly packaged and won't honour their insurance. FYI, the amp was wrapped in 6 layers of bubble wrap, placed in a box which was then wrapped in a further 2 layers of bubble wrap and then placed in another box. Key lesson, UPS are swines and not to be trusted.

Cheers,

iep

Comment

I have a Marshall 2205 on my bench right now that was roughed up by FedEx. The reverb tank was a mess, all four springs snapped off when some moron dropped it. It also broke two of the corner covers but fortunately didn't hurt the case. I think the rest of the amp is ok, and good Lord does this thing get LOUD! Wow.
        --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by iep View Post
          As an aside, UPS have claimed amp was poorly packaged and won't honour their insurance. FYI, the amp was wrapped in 6 layers of bubble wrap, placed in a box which was then wrapped in a further 2 layers of bubble wrap and then placed in another box. Key lesson, UPS are swines and not to be trusted.

Cheers,

iep
          I understand it's not your deal since claims must be filed by the shipper and not the receiver. My experience with UPS is that they use a third party insurance company to deal with claims- at least whenever I've had to deal with them personally. Their sole job is to NOT spend money. I discovered that if you keep on them and don't take "NO" for an answer, they will usually cave in and pay you. They key is persistence (and it helps to have a valid argument).

The last time I dealt with them, I shipped a freshly reconed speaker to Florida. It arrived with a broken basket- the actual steel frame of the speaker was broken. They tried to tell me it was packaged incorrectly (their "go to" answer for everything). After several calls, emails, and sending pictures; I explained to them the force necessary to break steel. I told them that even if the speaker was not packaged at all, this shouldn't have happened. They finally got tired of arguing with me and paid the claim.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
          X