Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pickup that's removed was wired same as the second pickup ,but to the outer lugs of the first volume pot .
    I haven't really had time to think & understand why there are wired to the outside lugs on the pots for the neck & middle volume controls .... the switch with the cap does very little in changing tone . all this is a lot of Nothing if you ask me ..Switches don't achieve much as pots do all the blending .
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      That is a nice setup.
      If you get time, a picture of the bottom of the pickguard would be great, and it would show how it all ties together.
      Here's the layout I came up with, you can tell us if it got close?
      I'm hoping to 8500 turns on my first try ,I'm thinking more of a p-90 vibe

Comment

I would think as it was, it picked up a lot of RF noise when played with gain.
        I see lots of room for wiring improvements.
        Surprised there is no aluminum foil shielding on the pick guard.
        Some heavy duty alcoa foil across the whole pickguard, and then some shielded pair on each pickup should help a lot!
        Just thinking out loud!
        Nice find Copper!
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
          Rewinding all three pickups from an old Silvertone which is in mint shape .
          Customer wants more output as all 3 of these are only about 3.5k

3.5k probably 4600 turns
          Black wire =finish wound Clockwise
          Red wire =start
          Green= grounded to plate
          40-50 tpl
          seems 40 one way & 50 when traverse goes the other way .
          with fairly tight tension as these soft bobbins have quite the flare going on
          wire .0031" could be heavy 42 gauge or 41 but bobbins are not full
          & are not potted
          This was a neat project, and thought maybe we could get Copper to tell us how it turned out?
          Maybe get a recap on it?
          Thanks in advance!
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

I'm away working but if i remember the winds
            I wound the neck & middle around 8600 turns with 42 spn & the bridge with 9500 turns 42 spn
            you could get 10000 turns on these
            these would of been cool to use a tapped keeper ditch the screws & the magnet & keeper & use some firebird sized magnets to more of a p-90 vibe .
            I did like the tone of these but the ceramic magnet sound a little compressed with that much wire on those bobbins .
            but it was a major improvement from the stock coils .

Comment

Heres something I have never had in before- Ovation bass each coil has its own trim pot- 18K each bobbin, 44 gauge, pole pieces are .25 diameter alnico rods. The bobbin that needs repaired is not in its original location- all 4 would be staggered of course. It needs a new bobbin made as the old one is broken. not a particularly hard repair or really unusual design but I was never aware of this one.Click image for larger version

Name:	ovation bass.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	839961

Comment

Originally posted by Lollar Jason View Post
                Heres something I have never had in before- Ovation bass each coil has its own trim pot- 18K each bobbin, 44 gauge, pole pieces are .25 diameter alnico rods. The bobbin that needs repaired is not in its original location- all 4 would be staggered of course. It needs a new bobbin made as the old one is broken. not a particularly hard repair or really unusual design but I was never aware of this one.[ATTACH=CONFIG]36313[/ATTACH]
                Hi Jason

Are those caps or resistors on the pcb. I havn't seen one of those since the late 70's early 80's when I worked for Rose Morris in the UK (distributors for Ovation) Their electric 6 strings had a great single knob active tone system on the breadwinner.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
                  Are those caps or resistors on the pcb. I havn't seen one of those since the late 70's early 80's when I worked for Rose Morris in the UK (distributors for Ovation) Their electric 6 strings had a great single knob active tone system on the breadwinner.
                  They are RN600 resistors, made by Vishay (Dale). The 1003F or 1002F are the value code. They are no longer made.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                    They are RN600 resistors, made by Vishay (Dale). The 1003F or 1002F are the value code. They are no longer made.
                    There are modern versions available from Vishay and ITT in the RN60 1/4 watt types if you need them and will pay a 2-3x premium over commercial 1% carbon film resistors.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/31027/cmfmil.pdf

Ovation electronics often contained mil spec bits, in part because the parent company Kaman was a military contractor and already had the purchasing channels in place. It's likely that the Ovation engineers used mil spec parts simply because they were at hand.
                    "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
                      There are modern versions available from Vishay and ITT in the RN60 1/4 watt types if you need them and will pay a 2-3x premium over commercial 1% carbon film resistors.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/31027/cmfmil.pdf

Ovation electronics often contained mil spec bits, in part because the parent company Kaman was a military contractor and already had the purchasing channels in place. It's likely that the Ovation engineers used mil spec parts simply because they were at hand.
                      Or possibly for low noise, compared to carbon composition resistors.

Comment

That Design never caught on.
                        Active pickups and preamps took over about then.
                        Most bass pickups now are either simple passive, or Active.
                        Document your rewinds here!
                        T
                        Last edited by big_teee; 11-13-2015, 10:58 PM.
                        Terry

Comment

Picked up a Strat Single coil pickup today at a local guitar store to rewind.
                          The owner said he thought it was an old Di-mar pickup.
                          It has a bobbin, with allen screws, a Keeper bar on the bottom with dual ceramic magnets on the bottom.
                          The magnets are head to head like a P90 pickup.
                          N/keeper/N.
                          I searched the D. site and saw nothing like it.
                          Does anyone know what the DCR was for this pickup.
                          It look aged like it could be 70s maybe?
                          Kind of has a Super distortion Single Coil look to it.
                          I may go back with 43SP.
                          Here are some pictures of it.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by big_teee; 11-13-2015, 11:05 PM.
                          Terry

Comment

I also picked up an old Tele bridge pickup to rewind.
                            It looks like it could have been a vintage fender at one time.
                            It doesn't have a steel baseplate, and it has a piece of bare braid push back wire on it.
                            I will try to put it back in a stock configuration, with baseplate.
                            I will rewind both pickups, and post the results.
                            If you have any info on either pickup in last two posts, I would like to hear it.
                            T
                            **As indicated by Stratz, this pickup appears to be from a Model 72 Custom.
                            I think the markings on the bottom, the best I can tell, is 72, or maybe 73, the year is very faint.
                            Here's the Fender Layout for a 72 Custom.
                            http://support.fender.com/service_di...7500C_SISD.pdf
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by big_teee; 11-14-2015, 02:54 PM.
                            Terry

Comment

The Strat pickup is a Dimarzio SDS1
                              I think they were around 8.8-9.5k. I have a couple that I can measure.

The Tele bridge looks to be from a Custom Telecaster (early 70's?) because of the braided lead.
                              It's missing the base plate.
                              These were paired with a WRHB in the neck slot.
                              Output was on the lower side. AWG 42 ~6.8k.... maybe more or less. I'd have to check my repair logs.
                              Last edited by Stratz; 11-13-2015, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Do you think the tele pickup ever had a baseplate, or maybe mounted to the wood without it?
                                It has round circles on the bottom at the 3 holes.

T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X