This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Jim, that looks very nice.
    I presume you start wrapping from the top?
    This is a 72 with PE, and it had small black string.
    String not near as large as yours.
    I normally just use 3M #11 black cloth tape.
    This being an old rewind I will put the string back on.
    Thanks again,
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I start layering string from the top & when i get to the bottom there is not really room for the last layer of string & end but i use the back end of my tweezers to run it in place.
      then I throw it in the wax pot , I has never came off from being in the pot .
      "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I start at the bottom only because I don't want to finish there so when I'm using the tweezers and scissors to tidy up the finish of the string I don't get me a little closer to the start and finish leads than I might want to be. On my own Tele bridges I wind, I use the cloth tape as well.
        Take Care,

Jim. . .
        VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
          I start layering string from the top & when i get to the bottom there is not really room for the last layer of string & end but i use the back end of my tweezers to run it in place.
          then I throw it in the wax pot , I has never came off from being in the pot .
          I guess I'm the odd man out here, I start winding the string from the bottom, and when I get to the top, I tuck under the last turn at one of the ends, and trim it flush with scissors. I tuck in the tail a little with a toothpick, then I pot with the string on. The original fender ones that were black, were that way because the wax itself was black. What I read is that Fender used a commercial wax that contained lampblack. If I am doing one that is like that, I have made up some black wax using lampblack mixed in, and I keep that in a different container and just use it for that. It will turn the white string grey-black and it looks very much vintage. I leave it in the wax for about 20 minutes and never had a problem with any strands of string coming unwound, or lint coming off or anything like that. The string I use is 12 ply poly-cotton and I got that because it looked to be about the right diameter compared to some vintage ones, but I'm pretty sure they used different sizes of string at different times.

I suppose the lampblack might have some subtle effects on things like self capacitance, since it is conductive. But I have not had any issues with that. In the photo below, I potted this one with temporary leads on, then put on the real leads so they wouldn't get stained too much by the black wax.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tele_b_black.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	841198
          Last edited by SonnyW; 02-29-2016, 05:43 PM. Reason: added photo
          www.sonnywalton.com
          How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

I foresee a problem if I start at the bottom.
            I'm rewinding the coil with more turns and the coil will be a bit bigger diameter wise.
            I'm reusing the string, since it's what came on it, and all of that type I have.
            If the coil is larger I will run out of string before I get to the top of the bobbin, maybe?
            I definitely got some ideas here to try, so I will proceed from here!
            Thanks again everyone!
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

I kind of start off like the stew mac instructions
              Single-coil Pickup Kits | stewmac.com
              but I don't finish that way
              "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

I just rewound it with 10,000 turns of my nom/max PE.
                Hopefully I still have room for some string.
                It will measure somewhere around 7.5k at room temp.
                This wire is big and low resistance, it should be what the customer ordered.
                T
                Terry

Comment

I canceled myself out!
                  I had plenty of room for clothe tape, but not enough room for the string.
                  Since he wanted 2 wire shield hook-up wire and it over wound?
                  He gets it with clothe tape too. I think he will dig it.

History of the pickup.
                  It's the pickup from the guitar shop, I had it out here before.
                  The shop didn't want to pay what I get to have it rewound.
                  They thought they would probably not sell it.
                  The shop owner gave it to a guy that is building a parts caster.
                  It originally came out of a 72 Deluxe with the bare push back wire lead.
                  It had no baseplate. The owner bought a new nice copper plated baseplate for it.
                  The guy I'm rewinding it for, was just trying to come up with a good quality pickup.
                  So vintage wasn't really that big of a deal.
                  To this day I can't believe that Leo Fender ever endorsed the String wrapping phenomenon.
                  Thanks again!
                  T
                  Last edited by big_teee; 03-01-2016, 04:31 PM.
                  Terry

Comment

The 72 custom bridge pickup before and after pictures.
                    I'll take it back to the guitar store tomorrow.
                    Attached Files
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                      I have a Tele bridge pickup to rewind.
                      It has the black dyed string on the outside.
                      I've always just taped mine, so I'm not savvy on the string.
                      My question is when do you put the string back on.
                      Before or after potting.
                      Any tips and tricks would be appreciated!
                      Thanks,
                      T
                      Terry,

Put the string back on before you wax pot. Start at the top and work your way to the bottom with the string. Then tuck the finish end under the last layer and pull tight. Once you pot and remove from the wax you can easily press any loose string (from the end wrap) tight against the string and let cool. This method works very well for me.

Fender supposedly used "lamp black" in the wax mixture to color the string black back in the day. This is something I don't really understand since "lamp black" can be conductive. Today, I would consider black dye for the job. Since your rewind string is already black I would just wax pot it in the regular paraffin/bees wax bath.
                      =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

For what it is worth --- I use 100% cotton string from Regency. I buy it in 1lb cones which is about 1200 feet. It seems very close, if not exact, to the original string used in the early 60s.
                        =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Darr View Post
                          For what it is worth --- I use 100% cotton string from Regency. I buy it in 1lb cones which is about 1200 feet. It seems very close, if not exact, to the original string used in the early 60s.
                          I use 12 Ply Cotton Twine from Uline. Only comes in 4,200' rolls for $18.00 Cdn. Ya, I definitely have a multi lifetime supply.
                          Take Care,

Jim. . .
                          VA3DEF

Comment

I'm done with the string, unless I get a lot extra to put it on.
                            I'll leave that to you guys.
                            I have + markup for things I don't want to do.
                            Like +$5 for 4 wire cable, +$5 for humbucker rewinds with covers, etc.
                            String may be in the + $10-$20 add-on range!
                            T
                            Last edited by big_teee; 03-01-2016, 07:42 PM.
                            Terry

Comment

Will have a middle pickup off a '55 Strat coming to the shop this week from the local luthier. The customer wants the repair and rewind to change it to a RWRP middle so he can add a 5-way. I was thinking it was a terrible route to go if you have a '55, but the luthier says it is a bit of a parts caster as the neck has been replaced. Serial number fits the '55 though, 7151 if I remember. This luthier has the coolest toy in town! A Plek! I've seen it in action in his shop and man it is just WAY cool! He's only had it since January and I think he said he has done over 150 fret levels, neck slots, nuts on it in that timeframe.
                              Take Care,

Jim. . .
                              VA3DEF
                              ____________________________________________________
                              In the immortal words of Dr. Johnny Fever, “When everyone is out to get you, paranoid is just good thinking.”

Comment

Jim if you do rewind it?
                                Please post all the specs of a 1955 Fender Stratocaster Pickup!
                                Magnet diameter, & Length. Height between the flats.
                                Wind direction & magnet orientation.
                                Wire type, diameter, TPL, & DCR.
                                That willl help a lot for anyone that wants to make a pickup from that era.
                                I will put this info in my pickup database.
                                Thanks for Sharing.
                                T
                                Terry

Comment

Working...
                                X