Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the neck pickup floated, with a separate ground?
    You could wire it either polarity.
    That's probably how it was wired.
    I plan on making mine, regular RWRP.
    I'll let you know how it turns out.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      With the neck pickup floated, with a separate ground?
      You could wire it either polarity.
      That's probably how it was wired.
      I plan on making mine, regular RWRP.
      I'll let you know how it turns out.
      T
      With the 4 way switch in neck only mode, or in parallel mode, one lead - typically the neg end - of the "floating" neck coil is attached to ground. In series mode, the negative end of the neck coil is attached to the positive end of the bridge coil. If the coils are in-polarity you wind up with an overall larger signal. I haven't tried reverse polarity, you might get a strat-like quack that way. Seems that's what you're going for with a RWRP pickup.

If the neck coil's - end is grounded, it defeats the ability to be series wired. If it's left attached to the pickup cover as normal, then you'll get a hum touching the pickup cover. I've had to do a little surgery on stock Tele neck pickups when installing 4 way switches, to remove the little jumper that goes from coil to cover, and tack on a separate wire to ground that cover.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

• For a performance guitar, and this will be, I will use some 2 wire with shield.
        The small black and white will be to the pickup, and the shield to the cover.
        On the tape, fender, did that some years ago, I always took it out.
        I like the magnets as close to the cover as possible.
        I pot the neck pickup twice.
        Once without the cover, and once with.
        I've got the guitar all swarmed in my shop on a card table.
        It has flooded rain all night, but I will go and rewind the pickups sometime today.
        Going to wind the bridge hot, and the neck medium, both with 42.
        I haven't had a project in a while.
        Will have to clean the cobwebs off the winder!
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

For a performance guitar, and this will be, I will use some 2 wire with shield.
          The small black and white will be to the pickup, and the shield to the cover.
          On the tape, fender, did that some years ago, I always took it out.
          I like the magnets as close to the cover as possible.
          I pot the neck pickup twice.
          Once without the cover, and once with.
          I've got the guitar all swarmed in my shop on a card table.
          It has flooded rain all night, but I will go and rewind the pickups sometime today.
          Going to wind the bridge hot, and the neck medium, both with 42.
          I haven't had a project in a while.
          Will have to clean the cobwebs off the winder!
          T
          T,
          Try to use stacked concentric 500K volume controls wired for individual control of each pickup when used in parallel or series.

The pickup leads go to the pot center and outer lug. The output is taken from the other pot outer lug. Use a push pull pot with a DPDT switch for the tone pot to reverse the phase oh the neck pickup.

When two two pickups are on in either series or parallel and the phase switch is pulled up to be out of phase you get a nice notch effect but it can be tuned by a slight twist of either stacked volume control about one tenth of a turn.

All this fits on a Telecaster mounting plate and inside the body cutout.

Joseph J. Rogowski

Comment

• Originally posted by bbsailor View Post
            T,
            Try to use stacked concentric 500K volume controls wired for individual control of each pickup when used in parallel or series.

The pickup leads go to the pot center and outer lug. The output is taken from the other pot outer lug. Use a push pull pot with a DPDT switch for the tone pot to reverse the phase oh the neck pickup.

When two two pickups are on in either series or parallel and the phase switch is pulled up to be out of phase you get a nice notch effect but it can be tuned by a slight twist of either stacked volume control about one tenth of a turn.

All this fits on a Telecaster mounting plate and inside the body cutout.

Joseph J. Rogowski
            Wow, that does sound like some great ideas.
            Unfortunately, I don't have any of those parts right now.
            If we like the series tone, I may order the parts later.
            The other option, we're considering if the 4 way is a no go, is to route and install the middle pickup with a 5 way switch.
            I have the templates, and parts to do that, and I've done that several times.
            My player is a strat player, and it is hard to get a strat player turned on to a two pickup tele.
            They feel limited, or naked, without the middle pickup.
            Fixing to go start working on those pickups now.
            Joe, thanks again for the input!
            T
            Terry

Comment

Wow, that does sound like some great ideas.
              Unfortunately, I don't have any of those parts right now.
              If we like the series tone, I may order the parts later.
              The other option, we're considering if the 4 way is a no go, is to route and install the middle pickup with a 5 way switch.
              I have the templates, and parts to do that, and I've done that several times.
              My player is a strat player, and it is hard to get a strat player turned on to a two pickup tele.
              They feel limited, or naked, without the middle pickup.
              Fixing to go start working on those pickups now.
              Joe, thanks again for the input!
              T
              T,

Here is another way to consider a 3 pickup Telcaster switching options.

Use a DPDT mini switch between the volume and tone control to select whether the real neck pickup is selected or the middle pickup is selected as the neck pickup from a 4 position selection switch perspective. This gives you 8 switching choices while maintaining a familiar mental switching order from the players perspective. This can also be done using a DPDT push pull tone pot to simply alternate between the real neck pickup or the middle pickup being selected as the neck pickup from a switching perspective. This can easily fit on the Telecaster metal plate.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but give it a chance to become a different animal... a Stratotele.

Joseph J. Rogowski

Comment

• I have been winding on the pickups today.
                Got to put the cables on the pickups, and the neck cover on and pot again.
                I have 7900 turns on the neck, and 10,000+ on the bridge.
                Should be a good blues tone.
                Don't know how they will work in series, as hot as I have them wound.
                I talked to the tele owner, my Blues playing Grandson.
                He wants to start with the two pickups with the standard 4way wiring.
                We'll see how that sounds.
                Then go from there.
                T
                **I built the bridge pickup CCW/NorthUp, Neck CW/South up.
                Replaced vintage cloth wire, with small 2-wire shielded.
                Last edited by big_teee; 09-24-2018, 04:13 PM.
                Terry

Comment

• I got the guitar back together, and it worked first try.
                  I wired it like this.
                  https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...-series-wiring
                  position 1 bridge
                  position 2 bridge and neck parallel
                  position 3 Neck
                  position 4 bridge and neck series.
                  Hum canceling in position 2 & 4
                  Still cleaning up some of the existing issues.
                  It has potential.
                  pictures tomorrow.
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

Hum canceling in position 2 & 4
                    Do you get a strat-like quack in those positions?

Comment

• Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                      Do you get a strat-like quack in those positions?
                      Not really.
                      I think the pickups have to be closer together for the quack dilemma.
                      I have 2 teles with three pickups, and they do quack, in pos. 2 & 4.
                      I just got done doing more tuning.
                      Sounds great in all positions.
                      position 4 gives some boost.
                      Ethan will like that.
                      I ended up with 250 pots, and a .050uf disk cap.
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

Not really.
                        I think the pickups have to be closer together for the quack dilemma.
                        I have 2 teles with three pickups, and they do quack, in pos. 2 & 4.
                        Not that I would recommend it for this guitar, but you can get a passable "quack" sound with a 2-pickup Tele by using Bill Lawrence's "Half Out of Phase" wiring, described here.
                        https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...caster-circuit

You can get the same effect by using a push-pull pot to flip the phase of the neck pickup, but replacing one of the "criss-cross" wires on the switch with a capacitor.
                        That's how I've wired my Tele. The "HOoP" circuit was discussed in this thread (scan around posts #12-16 and #23-26).
                        https://music-electronics-forum.com/...612#post473612

-rb
                        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

• The quack tone is unique, but that is not really a blues thing.
                          Blues players are more after the richer in phase tone.
                          Position 4 gives a loud in series humbucking tone that I'm sure will get used a lot.
                          Thanks for the input everyone!
                          T
                          Last edited by big_teee; 09-25-2018, 02:47 PM.
                          Terry

Comment

The quack tone is unique
                            Maybe a little deco job to reflect that unique quack:

Comment

• Leo, that's pretty damn scary this early in the AM!
                              I spewed coffee when I flipped over to it!
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Leo, that's pretty damn scary this early in the AM!
                                I spewed coffee when I flipped over to it!
                                T
                                QUAAAAACK QUACK WACK wack wack... I was trying to find Scrooge McDuck with a guitar, for that rich quack tone, no dice. But when I saw this one, hit the jack pot. Or rather, the QUACK pot!

BTW I think they call him Onkel Dagobert in Germany, I think that's hilarious. Can one of our German correspondents confirm?

Comment

Working...
                                X