This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    I rewound those for a metal player. He loves them!
    Yeah, I've figured that much.

Unfortunately, IME, Metalheads are impervious to tone. Or at least what *I* consider tone is, that is...

Man, do I sound like a triggered grandpa! Kids, get off my lawn!

I'm oooooooooold...!
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Comment

• A DiMarzio Chopper T Tele bridge pickup came into the shop yesterday. I have never dealt with one of these before. My question, is the Chopper T epoxy potted (or any such potting that is other than wax). It was in for excess micorphonics, but it looks and feels like it is not coming apart without a hammer. If it's epoxy, I can't see wax potting is going to get in there.

More questions later on an Ernie Ball Stingray 4 Music Man bass pickup that came in with the Chopper T.

followup. . . wax potted per Dimarzio tech support.
      Last edited by kayakerca; 03-07-2019, 10:22 PM.
      Take Care,

Jim. . .
      VA3DEF

Comment

• Rewind of '65 Hofner bass 500/501 (staple style) pickups

'65 Hofner bass 500/501 pickups (staple style). . . ~ 8.75kΩ - 9.25kΩ with 44AWG?

Thanks in advance for any input.
        Take Care,

Jim. . .
        VA3DEF

Comment

• Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
          '65 Hofner bass 500/501 pickups (staple style). . . ~ 8.75kΩ - 9.25kΩ with 44AWG?

Thanks in advance for any input.
          Not sure about 500/501 unless that is the guitar model (beatle bass). All the staple type Hofner bass pickups that I have rewound were Model 511B. Those ranged from 7.95 to 8.34 K ohms and all were wound with #43 SPN wire. I rewind them by measuring and precisely weighing the wire so I can calculate the original DCR and number of turns. Also all the examples that I have seen (3 of them) had fewer turns on the "Staple" side. Here's one example where I had to rewind both bobbins.

Click image for larger version

Name:	511b_data.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	856380

Hope this helps
          www.sonnywalton.com
          How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonnyW View Post
            Not sure about 500/501 unless that is the guitar model (beatle bass). All the staple type Hofner bass pickups that I have rewound were Model 511B. Those ranged from 7.95 to 8.34 K ohms and all were wound with #43 SPN wire. I rewind them by measuring and precisely weighing the wire so I can calculate the original DCR and number of turns. Also all the examples that I have seen (3 of them) had fewer turns on the "Staple" side. Here's one example where I had to rewind both bobbins.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56463[/ATTACH]

Hope this helps
            Thanks Sonny. The info and data are very much appreciated. Yes, it's a '65 Beatle Bass. I had one in a couple years back for a rewind on the staple side (I used 44 SPN). The screw side on that one was still good and ~4.83kΩ. I wound the staple side a little hotter, but based on your notes, I'll definitely go the other direction on this set based on your notes.
            Take Care,

Jim. . .
            VA3DEF

Comment

• When I get back from (retired person) vacation, I have an early 60's 8 string Fender 400 (jazzmaster style) steel guitar pickup to rewind. This is a new one for me. The customer has the original but wants a replacement he purchased and found way too hot for his liking rewound to get to the tonal characteristics of an original. Most I can find so far is the manual as well as a webpage from pedal-steel-guitar indicating the early 60's versions where wound to ~ 10.12K. Does anyone have any resources or info they would be willing to share on this vintage pickup?
              Take Care,

Jim. . .
              VA3DEF

Comment

• I had a request for info on a Duncan JB.
                I don't have the tpl, but here is data for a starting place.
                T

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot from 2023-04-16 13-35-16.png Views:	0 Size:	94.5 KB ID:	980802
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Working...
                X