Peavey XR600E (Dead)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XR600E (Dead)

Customer brought this in, wants it for 4th O JUly gig, I don't have the schematic for this mixer. I've surmised it's the power transformer in it. I have a 120 AC into it, there are two-3-wire outputs, one to main board audio amp, other to front mixer board, I have nothing out of either one of these, So am I to assume the transformers ka-put??? If so, is there a place, online to find an OEM transformer for this??, I don't know the outputs on this one, or I may have something lying around. Thanks in advance for any help.

Wow.

With flying secondary leads you have no Volts AC?

Measure the primary resistance.
    There may be an open thermal fuse.
    If that is good, read the two center tapped secondaries.

If you do have resistance on the primary & secondary windings, I would flip the power switch On & measure across the two wide blades of the power cord.
    If no reading is obtained, then you have an open from the cord to the primary.

Schematic attached.

peavey_xr600e_sch.pdf

Peavey is the only one that may have a drop in replacement.

Comment

Schematic is available here (look for 'Get Manual' link to appear below the preview):
      PEAVEY XR600E SCH Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics

Are you checking with transformer secondaries disconnected? And do you have continuity across the primary leads?

Edit: JPB beat me to it while I was typing

Comment

thanks both of you guys....will let ya know what's up shortly...away from work

Comment

Ok, wide open across the primarys and nothing (no resistance)@ plug blade when switched on either polarity
          I believe it's toasty....correct???

Comment

If you end up needing a power transformer, let me know the part number as I have quite a few Peavey trannies laying around. I may have what you need. I'll be happy to check.

Comment

yes yes, am looking hard w/out wanting to give up $200+
              Peavey# 705-18715
              XR600E mixer
              thank you jvm

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                Wow.

With flying secondary leads you have no Volts AC?

Measure the primary resistance.
                There may be an open thermal fuse.
                If that is good, read the two center tapped secondaries.

If you do have resistance on the primary & secondary windings, I would flip the power switch On & measure across the two wide blades of the power cord.
                If no reading is obtained, then you have an open from the cord to the primary.

Schematic attached.

[ATTACH]34529[/ATTACH]

Peavey is the only one that may have a drop in replacement.
                Big thanks for the schematic JP Bass, much needed for the library....Jazz P Bass....the heaviest damn guitar I ever wore....ugggg
                Much appreciated bud,
                W00d

Comment

I'll check this evening when I get home.

Comment

Thanks again jvm

Comment

And you can always get ANY Peavey schematics right from customer service at Peavey.

Are you just guessing at $200? Or did you call Peavey and get that price from the parts department?
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Hw00d View Post
                        Ok, wide open across the primarys and nothing (no resistance)@ plug blade when switched on either polarity
                        It's not completely clear whether you have tested at the primary leads yet. If you just checked at the plug, it can still be a problem with switch, fuse, wiring, etc.
                        If you disconnected primary leads at the transformer and measure open circuit, then yes, the primary is open.
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

not Peavey, was just doing a search, found a list of transformers on a site this morning, all around 150-200-220$ cant remember the site, mercury mag maybe??
                          glad to know about Peavey's schematics availability, I'm usually in Flat screen tv's normally. but i gotta Buddy in a rut

Comment

found a list of transformers on a site this morning, all around 150-200-220$ cant remember the site, mercury mag maybe??
                            Oh .... them

Somehow think their products should be exhibited at Tiffany's shop windows
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Ok, so it's open at the plug blade. BUT, that doesn't necessarily prove a bad transformer. You could have a bad power cord, bad switch, connection issues, blown fuse, etc. You need to check continuity right at the transformer primary wires to eliminate everything else. Don't spend money on a transformer until you verify this.

Edit: Oops! I guess g1 already said that.
                              Last edited by The Dude; 06-22-2015, 11:44 PM.
                              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Working...
                              X