Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fender hrd speaker blown

Hello,

How you operate when you have a tube amp with blown speaker? What you test before replace speaker to make sure you don't blow the new one?

Thanks and excuse for my English
    .......my gaussmeter project..... ........
    .......first pickup with my cnc winder........

.... NEW cnc pickup winder user manual.....

I have only seen but one of those speakers blown in a Hot Rod Deluxe. Not saying yours isn't blown, but how do you know it's the speaker and not something else?

1) Is your speaker cable plugged into the correct jack? (the one on the left) If it is plugged into the extension jack, the sound will be distorted as if the speaker is blown.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ruby-6l6-valves-hot-rod.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	838044

2) The amp needs a load, so if you have another speaker or speaker cabinet to test the amp, that would be great.

3) If you did blow that speaker, I'd take the opportunity to upgrade it. The Eminence Swamp Thang is an excellent upgrade and handles 150 watts. I'd drop one of those in there and wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Tube amps, in a fault mode, rarely 'take out' speakers.

Unless the B+ jumped across a severly shorted output transformer.

And , yeah, Tone Meister is correct.

"It's the jack on the left, the jack on the left, the jack on the left."

The Hot Rod Deluxe Mantra.

Comment

Counterintuitive, it's the jack on the left, the jack on the left.

Comment

I have not any sound with internal speaker (yes jack on the left).... While it sounds ok with another speaker.
          My question was how you make sure that just was a unlucky speaker before you put in it another 100€ speaker??
          .......my gaussmeter project..... ........
          .......first pickup with my cnc winder........

.... NEW cnc pickup winder user manual.....

Comment

As Jazz said above, tube amps do not really "take out" speakers.

If you really crank it all the way up, and the speaker is under specified, then you can blow the speaker. But since tube amps have output transformers, there is no way for DC to get on your speaker. There is really nothing there that can destroy a speaker, other than abuse. And we assume you will not be TRYING to blow a new speaker when you connect it.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Have you tested the "bad" speaker to verify that's it's the issue?
              Check the speaker tag panel and make sure it isn't loose or there are any broken tinsel leads to the voice coil - use DMM or old 9V battery for continuity check of VC. Are you sure the speaker cable is not kaput?

I had a Fender Stage 100 that had a blown/noisy speaker - sounded like VC rub. Stuck my hand into the back of the enclosure and felt around the speaker......... a beer bottle cap that had attached itself to the frame/spider

Comment

Originally posted by -Elepro- View Post
                I have not any sound with internal speaker (yes jack on the left).... While it sounds ok with another speaker.
                My question was how you make sure that just was a unlucky speaker before you put in it another 100€ speaker??
                Make sure you test your speaker right at the speaker lugs - the 9V battery trick will let you know if the voice coil still has continuity. I HAVE seen those flimsy speaker cables fail a number of times. I have probably built 15 or 20 replacement speaker cables for the Hot Rod and Blues series Fender amps over the years. That speaker cable could very well be the culprit if the speaker ends up testing ok.

Comment

Hey, did you ever get this one figured out?

Comment

Working...
                  X