Power Problem Maine Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Problem Maine Amp

I have bought a Maine Amp, sry I will come back with the model and some pictures. When switched on the power light on the front flickers and the amp works intermittently. I've opened the front and back where are no obvious loose or missing connections. Nothing also seems burnt out. I've sprayed cleaner on it but it was pretty clean already. No real change. I know next to nothing about electronics or amps but would like to fix it. I have a multi-meter, solder, fiber pen cleaner and a somewhat logical mind.

Can I have some advice in how I can trouble shot this problem?

Welcome to the place.
    Originally posted by neilbardsley View Post
    Can I have some advice in how I can trouble shot this problem?
    Without knowing anything about your amp, I'll give you a few simple suggestions.

Is the power cord okay? If it is a removable IEC type, try a different one. If it is hard wired in, try stressing the cord by flexing it at the socket end and at the point that it enters the chassis. It could have an internal break, that may show up when flexed the right way.

Is it something loose inside the amp that isn't visible? Turn down any reverb control if it has one and try thumping on the top of the amp with your fist. Does this physical stimulation cause the amp to turn on and off?

Is it a bad or dirty ac switch? Try turning it on and off at the switch a few times quickly and slowly. Sometimes you can make a bad connection show up this way.

For any other suggestions, we will need to know more about your amp and possibly post a schematic if you have one.

Comment

Working...
    X