Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker Parts

Hi guys,
    So strat pickups have been going great, tons of info and fun from the forum. I am wanting to start trying out humbuckers and other styles. For parts, mostly the bobbins, I was wondering if there is a huge "quality factor" (and what that might be)? These bobbins on the bay are super cheap, and I am debating between going through them and addiction FX.
    Any big reason not to get bobbins from a source in china? Thanks

Unless you're trying to make vintage replicas, bobbins are basically just a form to wind the wire onto.
    Most of us use import economical bobbins.
    The bobbins you show are 52mm and are about the widest available for hmbuckers, and would be used for bridge pickups.
    For neck or middle pickups, I would go with 49.2, or 50mm bobbins.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thanks Big_teee for the advice. Just out of curiosity, what would the difference in "replica" bobbins be? Also, as I understand most use a 50mm in the neck, 52mm in the bridge. When is 49.2mm used? (I think I have heard it is a Gibson neck? but not sure)

Comment

49.2 is the gibson size, for both pickups in a Les Paul, or ES335, for both neck and bridge.
        50mm is the import equivalent of the 49.2mm.
        On my import guitars I like to use a 49.2 for the neck and a 50mm for the bridge.
        52, and 53mm is usually used at the bridge, on Tremelo guitars with a wider bridge spacing.
        The old Gibson PAF guitars use Butyrate bobbins, which is a soft type plastic.
        Don't quote me on the real specifics, but that is the jest of it.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I guess 49.2mm being the Gibson standard makes those bobbins a bit more pricey (everywhere i've seen so far). I have read that Fender humbuckers are 53mm "F Spaced", but have never seen any bobbins at 53mm. What do you usually do on winds for strats or teles?

Comment

Originally posted by ThrustDust View Post
            I guess 49.2mm being the Gibson standard makes those bobbins a bit more pricey (everywhere i've seen so far). I have read that Fender humbuckers are 53mm "F Spaced", but have never seen any bobbins at 53mm. What do you usually do on winds for strats or teles?
            All strats & tele's have F spacing in the bridge position when a humbucker is used . that's 53mm
            53mm Humbucker
            "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Does anyone know where to get 53mm? I've never found them

Comment

Originally posted by ThrustDust View Post
                Does anyone know where to get 53mm? I've never found them
                52s and 53s will both work for Trembuckers.
                I've used 50mms but they are a bit too narrow.
                Here is the link Copper left for the 53mm bobbins.
                53mm Humbucker
                T
                Terry

Comment

Oh, thanks guys, I don't know how I missed that

Comment

Hi Guys,
                    So another question on humbucker parts. With covers, what is the big difference in cheap chinese ones like these and quality(?) pricier ones like these?
                    I have read that covers can kill a pickup, but could anyone chime in on this with some more info/opinions/experiences? Thanks a lot all!

Comment

The biggest difference in pickup covers is what they are made of.
                      The better covers are made from Nickel Silver, and the cheaper ones are made from brass.
                      The plating process the best I understand it, is a layer of copper then the layers of the outside plating.
                      That can be chrome, Nickel, or gold.
                      All covers IMO alter the tone some.
                      The degree of change is worse with brass based covers, less with nickel based covers.
                      The thinner the cover the better IMO.
                      The bare Nickel covers are the thinnest, and IMO alter the tone the least.
                      The Good side of a cover is it offers added noise suppressive shielding.
                      I think it helps with covers to charge the pickup magnet stronger to help offset for the cover.
                      Hope this helps!
                      YMMV,
                      T
                      Last edited by big_teee; 07-01-2015, 04:21 PM.
                      Terry

Comment

Working...
                      X