No announcement yet.

New build squealing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never thought about the meter being off. Another question how quickly should the filter caps discharge?

Comment

That's going to depend on the amount of capacitance, the voltage across them, and how much if any bleeding is going on at turn off. Best to check with a meter before sticking your fingers in there.
      "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Absolutely. It just seems they drop pretty quick. Like under 10 minutes. I'm using 600v caps instead of the 500v like the schematic

Comment

You probably get this, so apologies if I'm "dumbing it down", but the voltage rating of the cap matters less than what the voltage is across the cap when fully charged. In other words, a cap with 300V across it is going to discharge similarly whether it's rated at 500V or 1,000V.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

No worries all "good" advice accepted. The filter caps are getting about 540v. Thought the 500v wouldn't /couldn't take it

Comment

Oh by the way. All the folks on this forum are wonderful. I won't have this fire breathing beast of an amp. Its all thanks to you guys.

Comment

Actually I did. What did swapping the primaries do anyway? Seems to me I didn't have enough NFB with the 120k resistor. Can someone explain?

Comment

Another noob question. The heater voltage is sort of high, like 7.2 vac. Should I worry? The specs for the Svetlana's is 6.9 max

Comment

Originally posted by TarheelTechinTraining View Post
                    Actually I did. What did swapping the primaries do anyway? Seems to me I didn't have enough NFB with the 120k resistor. Can someone explain?
                    Swapping the leads reversed the phase of the amps output. Which is where the signal voltage is derived for the NFB loop. If the loop is in opposite phase with the signal present where it's applied (the PI tail) then you get a negative feedback loop. If the loop is in like phase (as it was before swapping the leads) you have a positive feedback loop. A positive feedback loop will usually oscillate like the low frequency voltage modulation of a tremolo circuit (an oscillator circuit) or the high frequency squeal you heard from your amp.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

You surely want to get that down. A recent discussion here covered this ever more common problem and revealed that tube life can suffer greatly. There is a small life advantage to running the filaments on the low side, but too low can lead to poor audio performance. Most of my amps were running high between 6.9something and 7.1something. I used equal value resistors on either side of the filament supply to bring it down to 6.2something. Here's a good link written by one of our members that covers it.

The Valve Wizard

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

10% either way is fine.

The difference between 6.93 & 7.2 is, what, 0.039%.
                        I would not sweat it.

I have seen many 'modern' amps (& old ones) come in at 7.2 Vac.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                          10% either way is fine.

The difference between 6.93 & 7.2 is, what, 0.039%.
                          I would not sweat it.

I have seen many 'modern' amps (& old ones) come in at 7.2 Vac.
                          My recollections are from this thread where R.G. gets jiggy and breaks it down to settle a disagreement with SGM. Read posts #47 through #56. If this is even half right I think observing correct filament voltages deserves some attention.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t35157-2/

Comment

Working...
                          X