Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6CA7 tubes something different in the place of EL34 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6CA7 tubes something different in the place of EL34 ??

Good morning too you all.

I have a JMP100 Super bass Clone and its time to get new tubes. The output tubes are old and i don't im getting the best out of it
    I normally buy Tung Sol or TAD EL34's. I Have never used or brought any 6CA7 tubes

I'm now playing in a Soul/RnB band and need a little more cleaner sound with less of the over driven tone. Last band was not a problem as i was playing 60s/70 rock
    The amp is biased cold at 25ma.

I have two clones 100watt heads JMP100 Super bass and Ampeg B15 Portaflex with 100watt output stage. But i think i need to invest into a solid state head, but before i do
    i would like to see what i can do with the JMP

Does anyone have a thoughts on using them for a bass amp

On another note Any thoughts on the fender rumble head i think it was 300 or 350 watt head. My local shop selling one at a good price. Sounds good.. Any thoughts on the reliabity and build

BBB

I've recently used both EH and JJ 6CA7 with good results in Marshall and Orange amps. Back in the 70's MusicMan made a 100+ watt bass head with 6CA7 and that worked fine, I owned one for a while until a slap'n'pop style bassist offered me some good $$$ for it, sounded terrific for his style.

Another choice is KT88. I have some customers who prefer these for a strong fat tone in Marshall & Traynor & old Sunn amps, also sounds terrific in the THD Flexi-50 guitar head. I've used EH and JJ, both work just fine.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Thanks leo. I have ordered some EH6ca7 tubes and i will re post my finding

BBB

Comment

Just an up date.
        Fitted the Electro harmonix 6CA7 tubes and biased at 25 ma got 78 watt at point of crossover distortion with a max of 112 watts. was getting 56 watts at crossover with old mashall tubes
        I aint gigged with it yet, but happy with the results

Thanks for advice Leo

BBB

Comment

Just curious as to why you use crossover distortion as a parameter for power output, why not power at clipping?
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thank you for the info JM Farhey Have a nice day..

Comment

Originally posted by blindboybenton View Post
              biased at 25 ma got 78 watt at point of crossover distortion with a max of 112 watts.
              Do you mean at the point of clipping?
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Yes I meant clipping. Amp is working well. On test I got a very clean sound .where it use to sound over driven. I realised the tubes were the original ones I used when I built the amp 18 myths ago and there were used then. And only fitted while i was making sure amp was working ok. Never got around to changing them. Hate buying tubes if I can't sell them. My bill for tubes every month is high enough as it is. Rare occasion for me to use new quad sets anyway amp is working very well. Happy days. bbb

Comment

Yeah , those EH big bottle 6ca7's are a wonderful tube that offer some decent headroom , a bit more power and longevity over a typical EL 34.
                  I like them for a clean sound. Seems that the 6ca7 is a under appreciated tube. The EH is very comparable to the NOS Sylvania in my humble opinion....
                  I have yet to try the JJ version.
                  Phineus J. Whoopy, you are the greatest! May just get one more peek at that three dimensional blackboard please?

Comment

Im please with them in my amp got the EH versions

Comment

best for bass or cleans? Color me NOT interested!

Comment

Working...
                      X