Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newest Peavey Classic 30 - Blue Guitar Mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newest Peavey Classic 30 - Blue Guitar Mods?

Hi all

I have a friend who wants me to do the Blue Guitar mods to his Peavey Classic 30. However, his particular amp doesn't have the same layout as the older version which the mods were based on. His amp has surface mount chips, and some of the components are apparently not given the same reference designators as originally described in the mod articles.

Has anyone done mods to the newer Classic 30? I will look for the newest layout/schematic...but if anyone has it handy, and/or has done it before, could you please chime in?

Thanks in advance!

Call Peavey customer service for the schematic. If the circuit is similar, then the mods should be similar. You will just have to translate the old circuit mods into the new. For example, regardless of component numbers, the second stage cathode bypass is still the second stage bypass.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo for the reply. I guessed that I would have to sort out one layout versus the other, I was just hoping someone had done the legwork already and might share. I am also looking for whatever problems might have cropped up for others who have tried this mod on a circuit board with surface mount devices.

I know you are active at the Peavey Forum. I have posted the same request over there as well.

Comment

I don't know what your time is worth but modding a surface mounted amp without knowing whether or not Any of the circuit values are different, seems like a waste of time.

Some of the mods can be extensive.
        Some of them are mearly capacitor & resistor value changes.

I would try to find out exactly what the owner does not like about the amp (and why he bought it.)

Every mod may not be what he is after, tone wise.

http://blueguitar.org/new/articles/b...30_origmod.pdf

http://blueguitar.org/new/articles/b...y/c30retro.pdf

It would be a real bummer if all he really dislikes is the speaker.

To me, modding an amp is a black hole.
        There is always the chance that the owner will keep coming back again & again looking for that final tweak.

Comment

+1 on the speaker.

If it's just some overall tonal/EQ change the customer is after a different speaker is the way to go. Especially if the stock Peavey speaker is a Blue Marvel (= awful).
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Agree and add: most Mods out there are HORRIBLE, written by non-Techs (and that's an understatement), for Non-Techs.
            Usually no schematic is even mentioned, and typical instructions sound similar vto: "pull R34 ... lift one end of C47 and add a 4k7 resistor in series ... cut the track leaving R157 to the right, add a flying wire to pin 6 of 2nd 12AX7" .... etc.

No way to analyze what they do , check typos, etc.

An absolute mess.

That said, I'm against Mods in general, most do not achieve what they promise, or in getting something, mess with something else, etc.

Many don't realize amp design is often a compromise between conflicting requirements, and often amp seems to perform better in one aspect ... later problems arise in other areas.
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Agree in principal to JM's post but the definite exception is Steve A's Blue Guitar mods for the Classic 30 posted by Jazz. Very well documented and informative. Also the caveats and precautions as well.
              The speaker upgrade is the first change I would do as well having been a Classic 30 owner in the past. I subbed in a Vintage 30 and another one I forget just now and both were an improvement. The only bummer is that in the earlier versions, you had to pull the chassis to do it. Not sure about the newer ones.
              Turn it up so that everything is louder than everything else.

Comment

Hi Folks

The amp's owner and I have decided against doing the mods, mainly because I have no equipment or ability to deal with Surface Mount Devices.

He will go with the speaker change and try some different preamp tubes in V1.

The Blue Guitar mods are well known and well documented.

Thanks everyone for your time and attention!

earache

Comment

Originally posted by DRH1958 View Post
                  Agree in principal to JM's post but the definite exception is Steve A's Blue Guitar mods for the Classic 30 posted by Jazz. Very well documented and informative. Also the caveats and precautions as well.
                  The speaker upgrade is the first change I would do as well having been a Classic 30 owner in the past. I subbed in a Vintage 30 and another one I forget just now and both were an improvement. The only bummer is that in the earlier versions, you had to pull the chassis to do it. Not sure about the newer ones.
                  Oh, also fully agree, Steve Ahola's mods are excellent and miles above the typical ones I mentioned
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                  X