Inexpensive Hobby Sized Lasers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexpensive Hobby Sized Lasers?

Let's keep a thread going, if anyone sees any inexpensive hobby sized lasers available for sale?
    You would think the things would be getting cheaper.
    Please, if you see anything interesting out there in an ad or anywhere, please post it here.
    I would be interested in something that would work for fiber and plastic, and maybe some ingraving?
    I'm probably having another Pipe Dream moment!
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

In commercial ventures, I've seen hobby-sized lasers that etch 'best by' dates on food containers; and ones that do wood burning to engrave pithy sayings and poems on pens, commemorative plaques, and the like. No idea of the cost of one of these, I only know that they are slightly bigger than a breadbox by themselves. anybody who's looked at building a 3D printer can visualize what it would take to make one of these from scratch.

Now if you're talking the power to vaporize metal, that's another story entirely. We've got one of those at work, cooled by liquid N2, does great detail work on huge sheets of steel. One of these days I'm going to bribe my way into getting a couple chassis prototypes cut out. Maybe.
    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I've seen a few DIY machines built from DVD/Blu-ray lasers. Pretty limited in output, but there are a few youtube clips of these in use.

Comment

Thanks guys.
        Just hoping an ad pops up somewhere on a 40-75w import laser that is reasonable.
        It would be fun to play with.
        I just want to cut plastic, fiber and such.
        I don't want to build anything.
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 07-06-2015, 06:53 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Funny this should pop up; I was just looking at a laser head for my 2nd Makibox. Its a 3D Printer that I'm considering selling, or turning into a laser etching machine if not. This type setup would work on pretty much any CNC machine though. Here's a link

http://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=1000

and a direct link here;
          http://jtechphotonics.com/?product_c...ver-combo-kits
          Sigil Pickups ~ Stunt Monkey Pedals

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            Just hoping an ad pops up somewhere on a 40-75w import laser that is reasonable.
            Is that wattage figure for hobby type or commercial cutting/welding type?
            The one Cheopis linked is 2Watts
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Originally posted by g1 View Post
              Is that wattage figure for hobby type or commercial cutting/welding type?
              The one Cheopis linked is 2Watts
              I'm just talking out of my scientific wild-assed guess, but 2W should be enough to etch plastic. To cut plastic, fiber, or wood veneer, I'd think the 50W+/- would be a minimum requirement.
              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Yes I think 40-50w is minimum to cut hobby parts like pickup fiber.
                I think Jason L. said he used a 35w for a long time. Then went bigger.
                T
                Last edited by big_teee; 07-07-2015, 07:03 PM.
                Terry

Comment

I just found out there's a regional (NW Ohio) community workshop that features a Fusion 40 laser. Membership's not too steep, and something like that could be used to prototype and test designs before deciding to build/buy.

Comment

There's this one, that was posted on another thread.
                    X700 High Value USB Laser Engraving Cutting Machine with Chiller 60W 500 x 700mm
                    I'm just looking for a cheap import rig I could use for cheap.
                    Anyway, everyone keep your eyes peeled for cheap import laser ads and options.
                    Thank You!
                    T
                    Terry

Comment

Here they are cutting 1/8" Acrylic with the 2.8W laser. Maybe it's hobby grade VS commercial level? Not too sure really /shrug
                      Sigil Pickups ~ Stunt Monkey Pedals

Comment

I picked up a 40W Chinese import with a roughly 10.5"x8" cutting area for under $400 shipped. I'll know in about two weeks if the repeatable accuracy matches the seller claims.

I figure I can always sell it and recoup much of what I paid when I find a reasonable deal on a good 40-60W commercial quality unit in 12-18 months. Until then, if it cuts to a repeatable tolerance I'll get good use of it cutting flatwork

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent View Post
                          I picked up a 40W Chinese import with a roughly 10.5"x8" cutting area for under $400 shipped. I'll know in about two weeks if the repeatable accuracy matches the seller claims.

I figure I can always sell it and recoup much of what I paid when I find a reasonable deal on a good 40-60W commercial quality unit in 12-18 months. Until then, if it cuts to a repeatable tolerance I'll get good use of it cutting flatwork
                          Can you show us some pics?
                          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                            Can you show us some pics?
                            will do when I get it setup. been a bit hectic here at the ranch the past couple weeks, and getting the initial cuts done was put on a temp hold

R

Comment

Well if we are willing to raise the bar just a little, here is a 40 watt that is looking pretty cool!

As an armchair geek, this is slick.
                              Take Care,

Jim. . .
                              VA3DEF
                              ____________________________________________________
                              In the immortal words of Dr. Johnny Fever, “When everyone is out to get you, paranoid is just good thinking.”

Comment

Working...
                              X