Inexpensive Hobby Sized Lasers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    Oh I'm all for more toys in the shop. I just figured that, while you're waiting for delivery, you could play around with what's possible.
    Well, after being treated to yet another Glowforge shipping delay (now being July 31, 2017) I've jumped ship. I've moved even further away from the "inexpensive laser" concept and ordered an Epilog Mini 18" X 12" - 40 watt in the shop in the next ~ 3 weeks. I did go the the Centrepointe Library makerspace for the laser cutter/engraver course so I can use their two Epilog lasers as well. With any luck, we'll but cutting some P90, J-bass and P-bass flatwork by February.
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent View Post

finally getting back to this ...

I have the El Cheapo cutting at last. There's LOTS to be desired in both the graphics tools (CorelLASER), nesting (order of graphic objects in imported drawing), and tool paths (no concept of direct route between graphic objects), but at $300 it's hard to complain too loudly.

The one thing I do find VERY annoying is how poorly the stepper motors track with the software when speeds exceed 100mm/s

So this is going to get me by into the first part of the year. Time to seek some funding in order to secure a used 'real' laser
      Hey, was this Laser at least good enough to etch logos on plastic parts?
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
        Hey, was this Laser at least good enough to etch logos on plastic parts?
        I was unable to etch with it, at least on the bobbin materials I wanted to etch.

it would also be near impossible to use for etching pickup covers due to the lack of z (height) adjustment of the bed.

that said, if you need to custom cut small quantities of .06" thick fiberboard, this ass well worth the small investment and learning curve

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent View Post
          Update: I've been overloaded with orders, and haven't had spare time to fine tune the new laser. I'm having two small issues that keep me from going forward with this for production:

- I need to dig into the software settings to discover how to set the auto focus depth distance so that the focal point is properly positioned. The auto focus is very consistent with where it positions the focal point, but it appears that it's set for a 1" lens when I'm using a 2" lens

- I need to determine how to adjust the final mirror that points down into the lens to ensure it's in the center of the lens. it's may be there, but I did enough tweaking to the three main mirrors that I'm assuming it's off

Once these are done (hopefully this weekend) I should be set to let loose of my cheap 40w Chinese cutter and get to work with the new one.
          my cheap 40w Chinese laser is long-gone, and the new laser is cutting splendidly. I was able to discover how to adjust the final mirror so it points correctly.

there was a bit of a learning curve on the cut and etch settings, but now that I have them working for me I'm turning out quality parts of repeatable dimensions way, way, way faster than I can assemble bobbins and my helper getting them wound.

the adjustable z depth has worked great for etching pickup covers and cutting exposed magnet holes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HB_ModernP5_Covers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	457.9 KB
ID:	844928

Next up is getting this properly vented - something better that partially rolling up the shop door and running the exhaust duct out into the parking lot

Comment

" running the exhaust duct out into the parking lot"
            HA! If you are cutting acrylic you must get some pretty irate comments!!
            We used a blower like this for quite a few years Wall-Mount Dust Collector with Canister Filter | Grizzly Industrial
            which is more than enough to run two lasers at once and attached it to a 6 inch PVC pipe that we use to run up a tree after having it on the ground for some time. Trick is getting it high enough up in the air so any smell is gone but that was back when we were out in the boonies. Now we are in the middle of down town so its a little different

Comment

Originally posted by Lollar Jason View Post
              " running the exhaust duct out into the parking lot"
              HA! If you are cutting acrylic you must get some pretty irate comments!!
              You've almost got me wanting to cut up some acrylic on my laser, then run outside to the exit port of the exhaust vent and get a sense of how ticked off my neighbours must be with me. lol.
              Take Care,

Jim. . .
              VA3DEF

Comment

Working...
              X