No cathode bypass cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No cathode bypass cap

Would it be bad no using a cathode bypass cap? Would that mess up something?
    I think I like the results of no cap but I don't want to destabilize anything in the long run!

I'm talking about a reissue bassman 59 LTD, c1 on the circuit board (which originally I think was 220uf) Some time ago I put a socket there to insert different cap values. Lately I was using a 47uf cap but without it I feel the signal is clearer and there's more headroom... and all I'm after is the highest LOUD clean headroom possible (I've already made several changes to this end)

what do you think? Thanks

No it's not bad in the sense it will damage anything in your amp. If you're interested in this subject there is heaps of info on the e-net. Here's a toy you can play with: cathode-capacitor calculator
    In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

An unbypassed cathode capacitor results in a form of signal degeneracy.

In other words you have negative feedback on that stage.

While it may result in less gain, it will offer a 'cleaner' signal.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know I'm not messing anything up in the amp!
        ANd yes I feel the signal is cleaner, I will check again to see if the loudness remain the same, if not maybe it won't be worth for my purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Aldo View Post
          ... if not maybe it won't be worth for my purpose.
          It's definitely worth tinkering with amps. We all have different preferences when it comes to sound, voicing or whatever we choose to call it. :-)
          In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Working...
          X