Dean Markley CD120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dean Markley CD120

Maybe someone can help me with a Dean Markley CD120 amp. All functions 100% and sounds good except maybe one issue. I do not get signal through the amp unless the footswitch is plugged in. Maybe this is normal? Anyone have any experience with this model amp? I have schematics if it is not normal and needs a fix. Thanks in advance!!!

I don't know that amp at all but I would guess it is not normal. However, there was the Randall RG80 type amp where it needed the foot switch to be plugged in to work correctly. Please post the schematic. I only see CD120 power amp section schematic online.
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CD120 Page 1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	838190

Comment

Name:	CD120 Page 2.jpg
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	838191

Comment

Name:	CD120 Page 3.jpg
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	838192

Comment

Name:	CD120 Page 4.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	838193

Comment

Are you sure that you are going in the Footswitch jack?

Now if you are going in the FX Return jack..........

Comment

Yeah.... the F/S jack is a 4 pin DIN type. No way to confuse them...lol!!

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                Are you sure that you are going in the Footswitch jack?

Now if you are going in the FX Return jack..........

Comment

So probably 3 wires are OD chan., Reverb, and Effects loop on/off. 4th wire is probably ground. Reminds me of late 70's peavey designs and many others indeed. So on the amp are there any other toggle switches? I still find it strange that signal does not pass without it connected.

Comment

No switch on the amp panel anywhere to switch between Clean and OD if you can believe that. Maybe connecting the F/S connects the ground and without it there is no ground connection..?

Comment

With foot switch removed try plugging a guitar cable between effects send to return, just curious if that makes any change.

Comment

The drawing in post #5 VAGUELY shows kind of/sort of what's going on, although seemingly incomplete. There are lines from the gate of both input and output FET's labeled ES- I'm assuming "effect switch". There's also what APPEARS to be a 6 pin header or connector drawn separately that seems to go to the effect switch. IMO, the drawing isn't complete enough to tell what actually happens there. You can infer a few things, but it isn't much help. I also notice on the header it has signal in and out pins. Could it be that the footswitch completes the signal path and is necessary for the amp to function?
                        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

With the F/S unplugged and a guitar cable in the loop the amp works....I get signal. So either the F/S has to be plugged in or if you unplug it then a cable has to be in the loop to get the amp to work. Also: There are Preamp out and Power amp in jacks. Plugging a guitar cable in these jacks does not allow signal to pass so it does not work.

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
                          With foot switch removed try plugging a guitar cable between effects send to return, just curious if that makes any change.

Comment

Clean the switching contacts on the jacks of the effects send/return loop. Possibly they are just dirty? To me I looked at that part of the schematic and finally saw the FS before the buffer stage IC. So the JFET turns on and off signal flow with foot switch. With nothing plugged in it then only relies on the switching contact of send/return jacks, or at least that is my thinking.

Comment

Yeah... I did that. Cleaned the Power amp in and Preamp out contacts too. This is a real bugger....unless it's normal for this amp model but I have no idea and the schematics are not the greatest. Thanks for the input!

Originally posted by DrGonz78 View Post
                              Clean the switching contacts on the jacks of the effects send/return loop. Possibly they are just dirty?

Comment

Working...
                              X