US/Canada mains cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US/Canada mains cable

I ordered a mains cable/plug assembly from Farnell to wire up an Ampex tape preamp for standalone use. Rather surprised what I got - three single cables moulded into a flat configuration (like a figure 8 with an extra lead). The earth cable in the middle is double-insulated and coloured green internally. The live and neutral are black, single-wall insulated. No double-insulation to conductors.

Would only get approved for low-votage use in the UK.

Is this what's allowed in the US/Canada? Marked up as CSA approved.

I snipped off a mains cable just like that one recently. I cut it off from a not too old toaster that someone threw away. So they are using them at least on toasters for one.
    When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

I see this sort of "flat" AC cable from time to time. Don't much like 'em. Just replaced a small one the other day. 30-40 years ago they were found on some big power amps, SAE comes to mind. More often seen on appliances like air conditioners.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

The last time I saw this type in the UK was on an Antex soldering iron I bought in '76. That was 2-core. Quite often see it on old record decks and radios. I may dump it and get a double-insulated round-section cable.

This one I've just bought exposes the wire when even just slightly nicked and bent.

Comment

A tip: over here you can buy a "replacement power cord" which is what we call a "pigtail" cord, meaning the mains plug is on ne end. and the other end is just tinned stripped wire ends - the pigtails. They can be a lot more expensive than they need to be. But SOOOO many products use the removable power cords, the common ones with the IEC connector on the amp end and the mains plug on the other. We often call them "computer cords" because that is where they first became familiar to us. Those are everywhere and inexpensive. Most shops have a pile of them.

When I need a new pigtail cord, it is so much cheaper to just cut off the IEC end of a removable cord than to buy a "real" pigtail cord.

Flat cords used to be a lot more common. I even do have a flat IEC cord hanging on my shop cord rack. But most are round.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I guess I should have got an IEC lead to begin with and chopped it. Just taken another look and those are all circular section in the catalogue so I've ordered one.

IEC leads are referred to as 'kettle leads' over here. Despite them not fitting a kettle.

Comment

Working...
            X