No announcement yet.

DR: OT @ 2 Ohms/ 10" spkr Q.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I should probably mention, mine is a 1979 Silverface Champ that I turned into a Vibro-Champ... Whole different circuit. The few tweed Champs I've tried (an original 1952 & a 5F1-ish copy with bigger speaker) left me sorely disappointed, like you. No grit til 8, and not particularly musical grit at that.. I for one am NOT a fan of tweed Champs.

Justin
    "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
    "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
    "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
      I wonder if Chuck has an opinion as to where it might go in his weird conraption.
      I would ordinarily confound the crap out of this in the interest of perfection But the coarse and blunt version would be like this. You'll want the switch or you'll be changing the tone you get on the Champ right now without an option.
      Attached Files
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

• Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
        I should probably mention, mine is a 1979 Silverface Champ that I turned into a Vibro-Champ... Whole different circuit. The few tweed Champs I've tried (an original 1952 & a 5F1-ish copy with bigger speaker) left me sorely disappointed, like you. No grit til 8, and not particularly musical grit at that.. I for one am NOT a fan of tweed Champs.

Justin
        I think Id sell my gramma for one of those Champs. Its the one I was leant as a 16 yr old (with a 2x HB blonde 70's tele).. I thought gawd tiddly amp goes all distorted at 4 godammit, I'll have to mic it into the PA then.. and urgh this tele neck is uncouth & chunky. Id no flamin idea I was playing $2k of top notch fenders! (mind you prolly $1/3rd of that in '86).

You'd like this Champ Im sure. I really think we should swap.

Comment

• Will try this Chuck and report back in a few days once got a cap similar in. Cheers SC

Comment

.. and urgh this tele neck is uncouth & chunky.
            Lol!

The neck on my frankenstrat is a Warmoth. I think it's their version of a "boat neck" I literally pulled it from a bin at The Starving Musician in Santa Clara, Ca. that they tossed all their un picked up orders into at a discount price. Some people that have tried my guitar complain about how fat it is, and I don't like playing on anything else anymore.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
              Lol!

The neck on my frankenstrat is a Warmoth. I think it's their version of a "boat neck" I literally pulled it from a bin at The Starving Musician in Santa Clara, Ca. that they tossed all their un picked up orders into at a discount price. Some people that have tried my guitar complain about how fat it is, and I don't like playing on anything else anymore.

Actually oddly I remember that tele neck, it really was a plank- just as teles were made earlier on/ no BS about it, and respect for true simplicity.. but it had v nasty playabilty. Mine here ('04) has a similar fat depth to it.. but a distinct V so 'urgh' when you 1st pick it up, but within a few mins it melts into the palm: v good playability.

Btw ChuckH just tried rehashing your contraception again w'out the 1R bypass.. and nope, very little OD at vol 7/ as it seemed to be. So back goes jumper acrross 1R and all there in spades, relatively so. And channel 1 on the DR sounds pretty fkn brown too now with your cotnraption! Great I think use ch.1 like so, and ch 2 for clean/ reverb etc: sounds like damn good plan. I ignored ch.1 before.

Great so I'm sorted: sell the SG and the DOM. Poss no need to think of an MV now these fender gtrs are working good with the Champ & DR now around 7-8 respectively using the gtr vols midway'ish for a cleaner -and- brighter tone. 2 birds with one stone.

Excellent- big results! SC

Comment

• Most tube amps will give a lot of distortion control with a guitars volume knob when overdriving the power tubes.

Omitting the 1R and jumpering the 1R are identical circuits. But in this case, omitting the 1R means replacing it with a wire. You can't just remove it. You will damage your amp. The unit will not work properly without continuity there. Be it 1 ohm or 0 ohms. (Linguistically interesting, isn't it, that "1" is a singular noun and "0" is a plural.?.)

As long as the load is somewhat correct (and even when it's pretty far off) no change of speaker, type of attenuator design or variations of level of attenuation will change the volume knob setting at which an amp overdrives. That is, one speaker or attenuator absolutely will not alter WHEN the amp clips in accordance with it's settings differently than another. Different speakers or attenuators that are in spec with the required load can only change the final tone or volume of the amp as it is set up to operate. But never the way it operates. This is something you have mentioned before. It is a misperception. I do not know why you have it.

I want to note again that if you use your guitars volume control it will greatly change how much an amp clips with any given amp settings. You had an earlier thread that I vaguely remember where there was some confusion about why turning down the guitar changed the not only the tone, but also the clipping and distortion.

I think you are having a great deal of trouble understanding the basics of what happens along the signal chain between your strings and the speaker. As long as doing things in a rote fashion is working for you I don't suppose it should matter. But it does make things VERY confusing and difficult for members here that respond to your inquiries because you will sometimes disagree with or disregard them and afterwards demonstrate that you didn't have any understanding of the issue or what they said. Example: An observation of when an amp breaks up with a speaker being different from when it breaks up with the attenuator is absolutely and without question an incorrect perception. I know this absolutely and without question because of things I have learned that you have not. Disagreeing with or disregarding advice because it is contrary to your perceptions is a mistake because you don't have the knowledge or education to interpret the subjects accurately. I'm not saying you can't hear that an amp is clipping or notice when. I'm saying that you don't know why, details get missed and then a misperception that is contrary to reality occurs. Which distinctly means that you shouldn't be too quick to disagree or disregard, but rather try to find out what it is YOU have missed or failed to understand. To do otherwise is both clumsy and rude.

This isn't beat up on Sea Chief time either. It's advice on the first changes that need to happen to ultimately get to the tone you want.

Comment

• Hi Chuck- don't be patronising again.

I know the difference between having the 1R, not having it and bypassing it. I said I bypassed it with a jumper. I never even said or hinted at removing it, so why the patronising spiel?? If had omitted it rather than bypassing it I wouldn't have heard anything would I.

Dont assume.

I know "most tube amps will give a lot of distortion control with a guitars volume knob when overdriving the power tubes". Where on earth have I even mentioned that I dont know this? such presumptions are irrritating.

There was no confusion about why turning down the gtr vol to get various clipping situations. The question was -HOW- not WHY. Dont assume.

I have enough of a picture of what happens along a signal chain thank very much. Presumption after presumtion.. if I ask a Q slightly wrong you hound me in reams of text.. when I think you know very well its likely what I was asking.

If you dont know why OD is observed, at same amp vol + max attenuator vol, with the 1R bypassed & not observed with the 1R in the circuit then you have more to learn by all accounts then because this is night and day difference in this application. It works and it doesnt work. Black and white.

SC

Comment

Hi Chuck- don't be patronising again.

I know the difference between having the 1R, not having it and bypassing it. I said I bypassed it with a jumper. I never even said or hinted at removing it, so why the patronising spiel?? If had omitted it rather than bypassing it I wouldn't have heard anything would I.

Dont assume.

I know "most tube amps will give a lot of distortion control with a guitars volume knob when overdriving the power tubes". Where on earth have I even mentioned that I dont know this? such presumptions are irrritating.

There was no confusion about why turning down the gtr vol to get various clipping situations. The question was -HOW- not WHY. Dont assume.

I have enough of a picture of what happens along a signal chain thank very much. Presumption after presumtion.. if I ask a Q slightly wrong you hound me in reams of text.. when I think you know very well its likely what I was asking.

If you dont know why OD is observed, at same amp vol + max attenuator vol, with the 1R bypassed & not observed with the 1R in the circuit then you have more to learn by all accounts then because this is night and day difference in this application. It works and it doesnt work. Black and white.

SC
                    I mistook some clumsy wording in your last post to mean that you tried the unit without the 1R when you were actually saying that you tried it without the 1R bypassed.

And yep, You're right! I have more to learn than you. I won't be troubling you anymore with my lesser information then.

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                      I mistook some clumsy wording in your last post to mean that you tried the unit without the 1R when you were actually saying that you tried it without the 1R bypassed.

And yep, You're right! I have more to learn than you. I won't be troubling you anymore with my lesser information then.

Cheers
                      Im sorry Chuck Ive no idea what you mean re. the 1R. Im thoughrally confused by your last 2 posts, I find them strange and incongruous.

(Pls look above ^. I haven't said you have more to learn THAN me.. that would be fkn daft for goodness sake!! I said you have more to learn, as we all do. Sorry but its just more assumptions).

I have said plenty of times how grateful I am, and I had finalised things #141. But then a whole page of patronising tirade at me from nowhere? I don't understand & I find it bizarre, & I dont know whats going on with you.

SC

Comment

Working...
                      X