Stainless steel baseplates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless steel baseplates

Are they good for anything? I got about 10 of them but haven't used them cause they don't solder like brass or nickel silver baseplates.

Originally posted by buddha0709 View Post
    Are they good for anything? I got about 10 of them but haven't used them cause they don't solder like brass or nickel silver baseplates.
    Pre-tin a place for later soldering as follows:

1. Clean a spot with sandpaper.

2. Using tinners flux (also known as liquid acid flux - apply with a brush) and a big soldering orin, tin the sanded spot with ordinary 60-40 or 63-37 tin-lead solder.

3. Clean off with acetone and hot water, so the acid flux won't cause corrosion later.

4. Solder wire to pre-tinned spot using only the ordinary 60-40 or 63-37 tin-lead solder, and no acid.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
      Pre-tin a place for later soldering as follows:

1. Clean a spot with sandpaper.

2. Using tinners flux (also known as liquid acid flux - apply with a brush) and a big soldering orin, tin the sanded spot with ordinary 60-40 or 63-37 tin-lead solder.

3. Clean off with acetone and hot water, so the acid flux won't cause corrosion later.

4. Solder wire to pre-tinned spot using only the ordinary 60-40 or 63-37 tin-lead solder, and no acid.
      Thanks Joe, i'll have to pick up some of that acid flux.

Does anybody care to comment if they notice a bid difference in sound between a stainless baseplate and nickel silver?

Comment

Originally posted by buddha0709 View Post
        Thanks Joe, i'll have to pick up some of that acid flux.
        It's a common hardware store item.

Edit: One can also get fluxes intended for soft-soldering stainless steel in some plumbing-supply stores.
        Last edited by Joe Gwinn; 07-17-2015, 03:11 PM.

Comment

you will need a good and powerful soldering iron as stainless is a poor heat conductor

Comment

Originally posted by mr fab View Post
            you will need a good and powerful soldering iron as stainless is a poor heat conductor
            Actually, low conductivity makes it easier, because the heat doesn't run away nearly so fast.

Edit: The reason for the big iron is to get the soldering over quickly, so things don't oxidize.

In any event, with the correct flux, soft-soldering stainless steel is not difficult.
            Last edited by Joe Gwinn; 07-18-2015, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Hi.i had the same solder problem with my ground wire in stainless humbucker baseplates.in the end i drill a hole and install an eyelett. It worked verry well.

Comment

Working...
              X