Speed Control for Variable Speed Motor/Winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjb View Post
    I don't know if this will help you or not.
    Step 5 shows how to readjust the speed range of a Harbor Freight mini lathe.
    Pro quality pickup winder - 3000+ RPM pickup winder with Tach, Counter and autostop
    Well I'll know when I get it. I have that same lathe and same setup but I doubt the mini lathe I'm getting shares the exact same circuit. But maybe I'll get lucky.

But those speed pots on the HB lathe just control min and max speeds. That doesn't really matter for what I'm trying to do. The thing that does matter is (in that instructables image) that little 3 prong hookup for the main pot and how to interface that with a foot pedal of some sort.

Comment

OK here's what we've got.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150722_231317.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	838287

This is the right side of the pcb. In the far back and on the right you can see the speed pot. I don't know the value - I'll have to take it out to find out. It has two leads coming from it (red & white, looks like middle and left lug) to a connector on the board (the connector on the far right). I think I could disconnect the wires from the pot and connect them to a jack to be mounted in a different hole. That jack would connect to a foot pedal. Thoughts?

Here's an overhead view of the speed control and motor temp. connection. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150722_231239.jpg
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	838285

Anyone know if this motor temp connection is or can be used as an inhibit switch? There is no other motor reset or or safety control here and the inhibit switch is what's used to shut off the motor when the counter reaches a preset number of turns.

Name:	IMG_20150722_235322.jpg
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	838288

Here's 4 connections. The one's the furthest left are marked ACL and ACN. ACL is the white coming from the power cord. ACN is a blue wire coming from the on/off switch. To the right of these are a black and a red wire both going to the motor. I'm guessing the black and red wires are the DC out wires. I must be able to put a dpdt switch in here and reverse the motor, correct?
      Attached Files

Comment

ACL and ACN - AC line and AC neutral.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          ACL and ACN - AC line and AC neutral.
          Well that makes sense.

Comment

So I did get this all worked out and put together - WITH the foot control - and posted it here:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t40125/

Name:	IMG_20150812_123901.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1,007.8 KB
ID:	839222

Comment

Working...
            X